Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lamarjones, Nov 26, 2002.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey, I am entertaining the thought of relenquishing control of my MTD 535. I have found the most comfy 5, and coming back to this seems awkward sometimes. It just switching between them, but ....

Anyways, I'd like to get a real nice fretless, so I was wondering what you guys thought. I feel some basses don't translate well to a fretless, they are just much better as a fretted.

Anyways, I had a 5 string corvette for a while, like the tone very much. Also thinking of a skyline 55-2 fretless. Also, thinking about upgrading a MTD heir with a nice preamp. then we get into the F bass (I;ve played a fretless F, nice!) and such.

Any opinions?

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I like the fretless F bass and the fretless Roscoe. Both very nice basses. I do not think you can beat the Roscoe for the price ($2200 in my neck of the woods.)

3. silvermaneZ

silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    A fretless Lakland Deluxe should make you very happy. It defitely has that fretless "mmuuaaahhhhh" that sounds so good.

Robert

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Probably one of the best fretless basses ever made is the Alain Caron F Bass. With a Spruce top and Maple Back with sound chambers, it sounds really close to a Double bass. Especially with the Piezos.

5. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I guess it depends on what music you are trying to cover. I play fretless 90% of the time, but I'm not after the fretless "sound" or mwaah. I just prefer the feel of a fretless board, but more of a conventional sound.

For classic rock and cover music I really like the versatility of my Elrick. The Rob Allen is great for the round McCartney sound and early rock, my Sukop excels at blues, and the Pedulla Rapture for a growly mid-rangey 80's type sound.

I'd love to try a fretless Roscoe someday, Keith thinks they are his best basses.

6. arcopizz

arcopizz Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2002
    Arizona
    I own a fretless 6 Roscoe. It's the nicest sounding fretless I have ever owned. Very versatile (for fretless) and the 35" scale with the way Keith "Beefs Up" the neck makes for an awesome sounding B string and all the notes played on it. The Caron F is definitely a dream bass, but costs quite a bit more than the Roscoe. I would definitely recommend you try out the Roscoe before you buy. Best of luck in ending up with a Bass you really enjoy!

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    The Roscoes are superb fretless basses.
    Very clean tone, clear, not harsh, not muted.
    I'd love one.

I really do enjoy playing the Pedulla Pentabuzz.
    I like having the lines (no ashamed) at least for now. It has a completely different sound when you pan from the neck to bridge p'ups. Very versitile yet distinct.

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    at this level i guess it boils down to the tone you are looking for. I played the roscoe and the pentabuzz at guitar villa last week. both great, but apples and oranges. of course, the pentabuzz used is as much as the roscoe new.:)

9. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks guys! I think I am going to try and seach out a roscoe fretless to get an idea. I had a lg3005, and thought it sounded great. Just had slightly narrow spacing for slapping, but on a fretless I don't think that is what I will be doing a lot of.

Thanks for the replies.

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    you may also want to check with Keith about getting the board coated with epoxy if you dig that tone.;)

11. ram936

ram936

May 29, 2002
    Massillon, Ohio
    What're you looking to spend? The previous posts mention some great high end basses, but I'm happy with my MIM fretless 4 Jazz for which I paid less than $400. Seems to me I remember a fretless Jazz bass worked pretty well for Jaco, too, although, believe me, I'm not putting myself in his class.

12. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    tis true....

I never liked the feel of most fenders. I am curious about the lower line MTDs, love the feel of the 535. But what I have really been impressed with are the skylines.

I am a big active electronics nut. I like to tap the string and hear it come through in a big way. That said, I wish more people would put passive tone roll offs on their active instruments.

I like what Jaco did for sure, but not really trying too hard to get his tone. I really think I might look into a roscoe fretless, and definetely a skyline 55-02 deluxe fretless. Or do they make the 55-02 in a fretless?

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    funny you bring up Jaco. I just bought (at lunch time) a cd from weather report wiht all Jaco originals(all live.) He was not much of an influence on me when i was growing up but i play more in that style than in stanley's. I still think his tone was weak. but he certainly made up for it in all other areas. I forgot how good he was. "Punk Jazz" live- it will kill you in the first 24 bars.:eek:

14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

The Alain Caron 6 from F bass. I haven't played anything that compares. And mine arrives in roughly 5 weeks! :D

Anyway, if you got the cash definitely check this one out.

15. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    55-02

16. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Wals fretless basses are VERY nice

17. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Spector makes a nice blue piezo fretless with white fretlines and sound chambers. I have played the thing and must say it a nice unique tone that isn't everyone, but I really like it. I think it retails around 800-900.
    spector basses

18. Now thats a sweet bass. Looks awsome.

19. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    A real nice fretless? These are the ones I have experience with:

F bass, definitely. Awesome fretless. Bought one!

Pedulla Pentabuzz. Ultimate mwah. Bought one.

Wals are very versatile too. Looking for one used...

I've played a few Zons that were really nice too.

20. I played a Warwick fretless the other day, nice weight, nice tone, and very playable. I am not sure which model but it was 599 used. I am g.a.s.ing for it at the moment.