1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

good, fun, sturdy bass that isnt expensive?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lazarus35, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Lazarus35

Lazarus35

Apr 10, 2009
    I have played bass for my church worship team for about 2 years, ive played bass for about 2 years and one week XD. I started with a real cheap ibanez 4 string and got a ibanez ergodyne 5 string about a year ago. Although i really love my 5 string, i need something that i can really go nuts on. We are starting a band for the youth group now, which i will be playing bass and singing for, but i feel like the 5 string isnt cutting it for the kind of things i want to do in this band. I want to be able to simply rock out. I need an affordable bass, i am just a 16 year old workin at subway haha, but i want one that is sturdy, and very versitile. i am open to any suggestion in any brand, price range prolly from 200 to 500 dollars :bassist:

2. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Go to a music store preferably big like a Guitar Center.
    Then... Play everything you see that you like.

3. Conce

Conce

Nov 20, 2008
    G&L L-2000 Tribute. You can find them used for roughly $400-500, or look into Peavey T-40s (a bit on the heavy side, but totally worth it) on eBay or from a fellow TBer. Make sure to go on youtube or something like that to see what they sound like, seeing how T-40s went out of production over 20 years ago. A local music store might have some G&Ls too. My other suggestion would be a used Fender Jazz. But more importantly is what YOU think sounds good...just pointing you in a general direction.

4. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    what exactly do you feel is lacking with the ergo? They are damn near indestructible, and sound just fine. Try changing your strings and getting a pro to set it up for you.

5. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    A Fender Precision or Jazz Standard series (i.e. MIM) would be great. They cost over $600 new these days, but you can find them used for $300-400 at www.musicgoround.com (or in one of their local stores if you're near one).

They're a great value and an instrument that, when you think it's time to upgrade or specialize, you can simply replace the pickups.

(G&L Tribute would be good too!)

6. thirtypoint87

thirtypoint87

Feb 9, 2004
    Manager/Repairman: Music-Go-Round
    +1. Those ergodynes are solid basses too, although I've found them to perform best in a heavy rock setting. (Not sure just what kinda church band yer rockin' in, y'dig?)

7. Dogbertday

Dogbertday Commercial User

Jul 10, 2007
    SE Wisconsin
    Blaine Music LLC
    I'd go squire (just find play a bunch at your local store and find the 1 out of 10 that is actually pretty exceptional) or even an sx (rondomusic.com)

8. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    the best value at the moment is the $280 fender squire vintage modified jazz & precision.

9. oldrookie

oldrookie

May 15, 2007
    Avon, IN
    +1 on the Trib L2000. Excellent bass.

10. Used Peavey Foundations fall in your price range, and are great sounding, well built instruments.

11. GOtta say the only Ibby I ever owned was an Ergo four. Loved the neck. BAss was a bit generic for me, but wit was a pretty good instrument. IT backed up my Moddy and I switched over too it now and then just for fun. THing took beatings better than my Moddy did thats for sure. But if it aint for you, so be it. Don't even worry about brand or anything. Worry about price. Buy the best feeling bass you can afford, not necesarily at your top end. I am leadigna crusade to stop recommending specific brands for general questions.

12. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    you just want to rock out, right? Do you mean root riding? If this is the case you can't go wrong with a good Squier P or J(wow, i'm getting cliche, i don't even like Fenders! Stupid TB! Turning me into a Fender head!)

13. the bassist at my church's youth group plays an Ibanez SR706 and it sounds pretty solid
    what sound are you looking for?

14. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Buy used!

Passive:
    MIM 60's classic Jazz
    '51 RI P-bass
    Sting bass P-bass
    50's classic P-bass

Active:
    44-01 Lakland Skyline

15. Lazarus35

Lazarus35

Apr 10, 2009
    wow thanks for the suggestions, and the only thing thats lacking with the ergodyne... is that it has five strings haha, i feel like i can do all the technical stuff with it just fine but with the small gaps between the strings i cant move around how fast id like to, i just want something simpler, its hard to explain haha

16. Lazarus35

Lazarus35

Apr 10, 2009
    just watched a video review of the g&l l2000 tribute, really like the versitality and sound of it, how much do they run for? sorry for double posting

17. wildhorse

wildhorse

Mar 15, 2009

I like the Squier Classic Vibe Jazz much better as far as looks and feel. Pretty consistent quality too. Not sure how the pickups compare to the Duncan designed in the Vintage Modified but they're alright. Got mine for $284.00

The T-40 is a good suggestion too but is heavy. He might take a look at an 80's Peavey Fury. USA made, jazz style neck and precision pickup. The pickup is as good as they come. It was an entry level bass but mines as good as any P-Bass I've ever played. But like one member said, try changing the strings and a setup. That being said I just changed the strings on my Peavey. The last time was in 1989. lol

18. Do what millions have done before -- get a decent, cheap Precision Bass copy. It's a simple, time-tested, durable design (and if you can't "rock out" with it, then the instrument is not the issue). Look at Squiers and low-end Yamahas, or try SX.

19. Lazarus35

Lazarus35

Apr 10, 2009
    yeah i was just looking at an sx on rondo music, if i had my old four string ibby id be fine, but i sold that to a good friend who wanted to start playing, i think id like a good pbass copy

20. Rando McNally

Rando McNally

May 21, 2008
    +1 squier. They take a lot of abuse!