1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Funk Bass Book needed

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by MAJORdorMo, Mar 2, 2008.

1. MAJORdorMo

MAJORdorMo

Aug 24, 2007
    I'm looking for a good funk book with NO tab.
    It should be intermediate level or so.
    I've been playing for around 7 months or so and I've really just been playing some old Metallica-era bands and some stuff out of The Real Book Bass Edition (illegal version) so that should give you an idea of my skill level.

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    the definitive funk bass book is "Funk Bass by john Leibman" (spelling may be off on the name)...

If I remember it has tab... but buy a thick black marker and you can fix that.

3. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    "Mel Bay's Complete Funk Bass Book" by Mike Hiland

4. lowfreqman

lowfreqman

Aug 18, 2001
    behind a bass
    I like Anthony Vitti's books (http://www.anthonyvitti.com/home.html). These are a notch above the intermediate level, but they have some excellent grooves in them, along with suggested drum parts for each exercise, and samples of all the exersices on CD.

5. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    +1. I love his fingerstyle funk books. Playing everything at tempo may be a bit above intermediate, but you can take the tempo down a few clicks and it's something you can accomplish.