1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Fuzz For Synth Tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lm183902, Mar 21, 2010.

1. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I've got a Boss OC-3 and have a Moog Low Pass Filter on the way. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a fuzz that would sufficiently compliment what i've already got?

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Wooly Mammoth is the standard synth fuzz. Copilot Orbit and Chunk Brown Dog are two other options.

3. Any < $130 fuzzes good for making a harsh synth tone? hahaha

4. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    Could give a Mastotron a shot.

5. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    You may also want to give the MXR Blowtorch a try. It is on the synthier side of fuzzes.

6. Between an MXR el Grande Fuzz and an Ibanez Smash Box dist pedal, i can get synth-y tones without an actual synth pedal.

I think this is thanks in larger part to the Smash Box, its a GREAT distortion pedal. Very versatile. Look for one!

7. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I will not suggest the Fuzzhugger AB-synth. Based on the videos, it looked like it was going to be my synthy fuzz (especially when paired up w/ the EHX HOG), but sadly it was nothing more than a modded big muff (which I can make on my own...). Great quality build, communication, customer service, etc., just not the synthy fuzz I'm looking for.

8. Here's another vote for the zvex Mastotron!

9. takfar

takfar

Dec 21, 2008
    Mastotron does it, at a low-ish cost, and works with active basses. I use it and approve it.

10. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    ??

MXR Blowtorch? Synthy? Fuzz?

I don't own one but I tested one out once. It was just an overdrive... that I dialed it in for.

Soundsamples of a Blowtorch as synthy fuzz?

To the OP: cheap solution, BOSS FZ-5 Fuzz. Harsh, digital sounding, kills lowend a bit.

Great for emulating powermetal digital synth leads IMO and IME.

11. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Check out Bryan R. Tyler's youtube demo of the pedal. It showcases a lot of what it is capable of.

12. mattq

mattq

May 23, 2006
    Santa Cruz, CA
    second the devi ever. all of them are synthy fuzzy amazingness

13. Does anyone have gated fuzzes to recommend? I've always been told they can sound synthier....

14. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    zoom ultra fuzz.
    It does the "volume knob synth osc." trick.

or

Wooly Mammoth is gated..
    but the ultra fuzz is a better pedal.
    esp. for the money. :spit:

15. Devi Ever makes/made a few gated fuzzes: The Bit/Legend of Fuzz, the 33/Silver Crank and the Bass Fuzz/Super Massive Black Hole. The latter two are no longer in production, but you can still find them floating around on eBay and at the ilovefuzz.com and deviever.com forums now and then. I have some clips of the Bit in the wiki. I found that it holds the bass very well, and makes a very grindy, buzzsaw gated sound.

http://www.talkbass.com/wiki/index.php/Effects_Clip_Database#Devi_Ever.5BEffector_13.5D

16. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I suggest trying a Pigtronix OFO Disnortion. Octave up ring mod distortion in series with parallel 6 selection fuzz and overdrive.

It doesn't take batteries but sounds FANTASTIC.

You can probably find them for a good deal round these parts...I love mine.

17. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    My favorite fuzz for filtered synth tones is the Prunes&Custard, though admittedly not a 'regular' fuzz. In your $130 range, I loved the Pollyanna which is a gated octave fuzz, though only octafuzz and dry; -2,-1, dry and +1 octave controls, gated fuzz suboctaves and fuzzy +1oct, and sounds great under a filter.

Brown Dog, Mammoth, Zoom Ultra as above(no experience with it), some devi Fuzz's; I have the Bass Fuzz/SMBH and its a cool gated fuzz, but not my choice for oscillator tones. I haven't tried the harsher & more heavily gated Bit, but its probably better suited to this application, strictly as a 'squarewave generator' at least. I think the Mastotron is in the OPs $130 price range, and I've read somewhere that it can get somewhat into Mammoth territory, though thats just hearsay on my end fwiw..

The gated fuzz's are good for emulating square/pulsewave osc tones. A flanger placed between the gated fuzz and filter does a good job of sounding like a PWM'd square, or the light phasing from mildly detuned&stacked oscillators.

18. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Yes! Very. and with it's blend, it reacts well when overdrives (or P&C that I use like an overdrive) are put through it. Blowtorch button in, full midrange (middle position switch) full treble, bass at 1 oclock, drive at noon. My synthiest sound is EH Blogger on drive into Blowtorch. Massive low end with that combination too.

19. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    +1

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020