Good Game Boy Advance games.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Jan 13, 2003.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Any recommendations on good titles. Im not a Zelda fan at all.

Just got it for x-mas, and have been playing the heck out of NHL 2002.
  2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    If you are into racing games, try Mario Kart or F-Zero. If the remakes are anything like the SNES originals, they'll be good.

I also saw the original Grand Theft Auto coming out for GBA... oh yes, also Metroid Fusion.
  3. i assume you don't like RPGs then. but if i'm wrong, get Golden Sun.
  4. Platformers: The two Castlevania games (Circle of the Moon or Harmony of Dissonance is the other I believe.)

Metroid Fusion is very played Super Metroid for SNES, you'll love it. Ditto Mega Man Zero. Sticking with platforming, Super Ghouls and Ghosts is a direct port of the SNES game, but it's also just as ridiculously hard as the original.

Sportswise, I'd give Baseball Advance a go. The gameplay is awesome, but there's only four parks in the game. I love the old school baseball games like World Series baseball, so I actually end up playing this game over any of the baseball games I have for consoles.

If you can get weird to the odd views, the Tony Hawk series is really good too.

Virtua Tennis is really good too, if you've played the Dreamcast version, it's essentially a portable version of it. The gameplay in the original only had two buttons, but it's just as good as Super Tennis was on SNES.

Fighting: Street Fighter Alpha, no competition here in my mind.

RPG: Like dancehallclasher said, if you dont like Zelda, you probably aren't interested in RPGs.

GBA also has a fair number of good first person shooters, like the good Doom port, but I don't like playing them on a handheld. It feels too weird.

Strategy: I don't really care for strategy on such a small platform, but Advance Wars is fantastic. If you have any interested in turn based strategy games, you have to try it.

Ignoring genres, I'd definitely get Advance Wars first. Great great game.
  5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Tetris Worlds.

So very addictive :D
  6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I agree with both Castlevania games and Ghouls and Ghosts.
  7. I second Golden Sun. Advance Wars is really good too if you like strategy.
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

very very good game. I've played through almost all of it(I have all the abilities and stuff) its really fun...but it gets really hard, and at times very frustrating.

thats the only game I have.

GBAs are great...I recommend getting a clip on light...the only real flaw for the GBA is that it doesn't have a Back-light.

I also suggest that you get Mario world...because thats the best video game ever made.
  9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

That's why they are making this.
  10. Ryan K

Ryan K

Dec 11, 2002
    New Jersey
    gameboy advance is definatly a step in the right direction as far as portable systems go. I heard they are gonna put final fantasy tactics on it...which is good news to me.
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Not only are they putting final fantasy tactics(one of the best games ever) but they are totally remaking the game, and they are redoing a lot of the game, while still keeping it the same style and gameplay....they are adding new characters, classes, races..etc.

GBA sp looks pretty sweet

oh wow! I also saw on that IGN site a GBA-tv adaptor that enables you to play your games on any tv with rca or composite or s-video inputs! YES! the only other minor issue I had with GBA was its inabilty to connect to tvs....only downside to this adaptor...$75 :eek: but it will probably drop in price eventually
  12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

75 bucks for the adaptor? I read 39.99 I thought..hmmm...
  13. odie

odie Supporting Member

I havent played a RPG or Zelda in a long time. Since the original Nintendo system. I was never into them when I was young because I was into the sports games or blowing things up. Still not sure if I have the patience.

I play a lot on the PC, but mostly First Person shooter(Medal of Honor, UT etc) and realtime stategy like C&C, Age of Empires etc. mixed in with a little Grand Theft Auto.

Maybe that will give you all a feel on what to suggest. I would love a strategy game.

Advance Wars , Golden Sun what is that like?
  14. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    If you like RTS games like C&C, you'll like advance wars. I was really into the first C&C years ago, and I love advance wars.
  15. odie

odie Supporting Member

Nate Dawg- It sounds like something I need to check out!!

Also what are some good sites for reviews, the ones I saw really varied ex one site say average 6 out of 10 , another 9 out of 10, and ita must have.

Where are some good places to get games online and stores. Walmart has a decent selection here but not everthing.
  16. yup, golden sun kicks some major...yea... also, breath of fire, if you're into rpgs
  17. odie

odie Supporting Member

Any other good ones?