Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Gauge string for Drop C

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Tritoch, May 28, 2001.

1. Tritoch

Tritoch

Sep 9, 2000
    In my band we tune to Drop D. But soon to be Drop C (Tuned a 1-step down then droped). what would be a good gauge string to use? and what are the worries about necks and changing to heavyer gauge strings? also, sould it kill a neck to keep changing tunings? i dont know what it is with necks and me, maybe its the Louisana Humidity, but they keep going gay on me. o ya, i use 50's right now.

2. well, the best string guage will be the heaviest you can find. you should just restring your bass BEAD. it would help if you filled out your profile.

by the way, the gay comment is not very cool.

3. Tritoch

Tritoch

Sep 9, 2000
    O darn. that gay comment wasent cool? o no. i was so hopeing to be accepted by you. Im not tuning bead, id have to do stuff to the bass. and im not that good at that stuff. Would it warp my neck if i put a heaver gauge string on it? or would it being detuned even it out?

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dancehallclasher is ABSOLUTELY right, the gay comment is NOT acceptable, and DO NOT use it again. Would you say "Damn, my strings are going black on me"? It's the EXACT same principle. DO NOT use "gay" as a derogatory term. I and many others will NOT stand for it.

5. Tritoch

Tritoch

Sep 9, 2000
    Touchy..........Theres nothing more that i hate then racism or pride. trust me. i ment nothing by it. and dont tell me what i can and cannot do. free country.And i did not use "gay" as a derogatory term. Now i know that Talk bass is full of Politicly Correct a-holes. O and dont worry about me saying anything more. you guys help hasnet been that great anyway. Go ahead and kick me off. i dont care. im not coming back on anyway. Once again. i do not have anything aginst anybody. Thats what i thought was great about music. it knows no creed. But i am sick of people trying to be the most politicly correct guy in the world. Peace.

6. Your set of 50's would be OK down as far as A. You'll want to swap the 110 E for something a lot heavier, like a 125, or even a 130.

You'd also want to look into trying out strings with a tapered winding as they'd be a lot easier to intonate correctly.

7. no, you have us all wrong. me and angus are the only assholes here, and i'm beginning to have my suspicions about angus... ;)

anyway i'm posting this because i think that you will in fact come back to see the responses to your inflammatory post. the reason i suggested tuning BEAD is because it's really no more trouble than tuning down to C, it's just a half step lower. ANY permanent change in tuning like that will require a different string guage and setup, otherwise it will sound and feel like crap. so you might as well just go with the low B. dig?

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Why don't you just get a 5-string bass?

You may not have enough neck relief to de-tune that far (Some basses won't have that much relief)

You will probably have to leave there. Re-tuning to a EABG and you'll be able to shoot arrows with that bass!!

Chas

9. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Unfortunately, Tritoch, while you feel it wasn't derogatory in any way, it was taken as such. As a rule of thumb, remember that you're working with an entire world here, as the internet is a global tool, and you're interacting with all different types of people. And, as a rule in life, as well as the internet, you need to remember what you're saying may not sound bad, but the way it's taken may be different than intended. That's an especially big problem when you can't hear voice inflections and see the facial gestures of the speaker.

I think it's great that you chose to bring your topic to the Talkbass forum, and think that the question you posed was particularly good!:D I'd hate to see you not participate on this board, as you obviously have some good insight. But, if you do, please keep in mind that the context of your comments can and will be taken in the tone of the reader's mind inasmuch as it's in your own mind.

Is there anything wrong with trying to NOT offend anyone? I'd hope, for your sake, the answer is no.

Keep comin' back...we'll all be the better for it!:D

10. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    This isn't a free country-we have to abide by certain rules & constraints set forth using common sense & what the dictators err moderators tell us :D ;) On the question-try using a B string & tuning up [130 gauge or so]. thats all

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The B string wouldn't fit in the nut slot, FJC.

12. File it out.

13. neither would a really thick string for tuning to low C, which was my whole point.

14. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    i use the ernie ball 4-sting packages that come in the pink package, the E is a 105, i can get that down to A without much flapping, but my scale length is really long, its on old Aria Pro 2 24-fret thing. I use a drop-C and its just fine.

15. I have real thick strings too, but that's mostly coz i like really fat bass and i have pretty thick fingers.. fits perfectly ;p