Good gig bag?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by elrick5, Aug 12, 2002.

1. elrick5

Aug 8, 2002

I'm in need of a good gig bag. Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking for something with a good inch of padding, and it might have to be made a bit bigger, since my 3/4 bass is almost 8.75" deep at the shoulders.
  2. I use Mooradian on both of mine. I also have one for my GK-MB-150E. I'm really happy with the cases, which are not cheap, however they're very well made, and use quality components.

- Wil

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    The Mooradian Deluxe are fantastic gig bags. I would also highly recomend the Kolstein bag. It is the one I am presently using. Tough cordura outer shell. It has plenty of padding, and lots of handles. I really like the zipper guard that travels the length of the bag. I believe the Mooradian has a full length zipper guard as well.
  4. elrick5

Aug 8, 2002
    All good suggestions I'll look into. I was curious about the Reunion Blues bag too, but I sucked air when I saw the price tag! Some of these look as good at considerably more reasonable prices.
  5. I've had a reunion blues bag on one of my basses for about 15 years and I have no doubt that it is the most protective soft case on the market. The problem is that it does not fold up into a relatively small size so you can't easily stuff it on the job. You have to find a corner of a room to stand it in. I believe that the reason it is so stiff is that they use thick "closed cell" foam rubber in the construction rather than the more common "open cell" so it does not compress fully when depressed. I have a Mooradian Deluxe bag another bass and while it is an excellent case, I think I would try to find a case with "closed cell" foam if I were to buy a replacement. I think Hammond Ashley makes or has one made for them. The Messina bag may also be "closed cell". I would ask about the type of foam used in construction before buying any bag.
  6. martinc

martinc Supporting Member

You may want to check out the Bobelock from Chris Quinn at Quinn Violins.
    When I bought mine over 2 years ago they were around 200 bucks. They have 1" thick foam padding, lots of pockets and good, strong zippers.
    I have dragged mine around many festivals, through two Canadian winters and in the back of vans and pickups and so far it has held up very well. An excellent buy in my experience.

7. jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    I use the Upton Bass bag. It has a full inch of padding, handles everywhere, backpack straps, and is strongly-constructed.

Check them out at It has a full-length zipper on one side, and the other side has a zipper that goes up to the lower bout, so it swings nice and wide when you open it up.

They have a model with stroller wheels, but as I recall, the wheels don't face the right direction for getting it through doorways and between the tables at clubs. You can get them with or without wheels. I opted to save the extra $$$ for the built-in stroller wheels, and I really like my case. I seem to recall that they run $200 with no wheels.

Mooradian's 1-inch-padding case is $340, thought their half-inch-padded case is $215.
  8. fingerfunk

Aug 17, 2002
    I have a reunion blues case and if you can afford it I'd get it. If you cant get the mooradian.
  9. I bought a Kaces III from (all hail) Bob Gollihur, and it seems like all the case that I need.

His site gives the working dimensions of the case.
  10. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    My Kolstein bag has held up
    much better than I've expected.
    Great handles, three storage pockets.
    Bow pocket, thick foam and cordura.
    Good carry strap. Yes... I like it!