1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good gig bag?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by sgoodwin, Jul 16, 2012.

1. sgoodwin

sgoodwin

Apr 17, 2012
    Not sure if this is the right section. Sorry in advance if it's not.

I am looking for a new gig bag. I have a Squire VM P-bass and ride to gigs on my bicycle. My current gig bag was whatever guitar center had when I bought the bass and it has decent padding and such, but the back straps make it so the bass is sticking up waaaay over my head. I worry I will not be paying attention one day and break the neck off my bass because I passed a doorway or a street sign or something. Looking on amazon.co.uk, I see plenty of gig bags for not much money, but most of them don't show someone actually wearing the bag on their back so I thought I should ask here and get recommendations from you guys.

Is there a gig bag that will mount lower on my back so I don't break my bass? It's not an expensive bass, but I would like to keep it, hehe.

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Many of these backpack design bags suffer from the same thing due to the fact that the bass body section is only so long itself so there's only so much you can design in without having big floppy straps hanging about. MONO cases, for the most part, have addressed this issue, along with a few other upper-tier bags, but expect to pay almost as much as you paid for the bass for the MONO (@190 new).

I would extend the straps as far out as they could possibly go to get the bag to hang as low as possible, and then secure the excess strapping at the bottom somehow so it will still hang close to the body but again, lower. You're gonna have to contend with to floppy backpack straps either way.

3. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    reunion blues bags are the best, but in your case maybe not, they cost twice what your bass did.

4. sj_bass

sj_bass Supporting Member

May 23, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Moody Leathers endorsed artist
  5. sgoodwin

sgoodwin

Apr 17, 2012
    Yeah I'm in Amsterdam. You either ride your bike or people look at you funny. Thanks for the recommendations guys! Looks like I'll need to budget for a fancy case, heh.

6. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    Fbasss makes a great gig bag

7. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I am sure they make a great bag, but did you miss the part about it being a 300 dollar bass?

8. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Mono as my top pick for gigbag. Expensive but you'd be keeping it for next bass if you ever sold current one. They cost more then most hard cases, but protect allmost as well overall. For those times when hard case wont do.

9. Corbeau

Corbeau

Dec 14, 2011
    Australia
    If you don't mind people thinking you are riding around with a Godin, then the Godin gig bags are pretty good. They offer a good amount of protection, are lightweight and have a lot of pockets so you can hold other things like cords, sheet music, straps, etc.

10. jadenjazz

jadenjazz Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I've tried a lot of gigbags over the years. The best one I have found is from igig. Strong construction, plenty of storage room, and it sits low on the back. I'm 6'4" and I can walk through doorways while its on my back with no trouble!

11. pmchenry

pmchenry

May 6, 2012
    SE PA
    Get a surfboard rack for your bicycle, and use your cheap padded gig bag. They're made of lightweight aluminum, so if you need to make the rack arms a bit wider to accommodate your bass, it's an easy DIY job.

Racks like this go for between $40 and $60 American online:

[​IMG]