Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good gig last night.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Jul 21, 2002.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My country/blues band played a giant back yard gig last night, and all went well. Sort of. We used the Big PA, and it had to be hauled down into the huge back yard behind the house. This has been a nightmare in years past (this is the third year we've done this gig), but this year, they cleared a narrow driveway behind the house for us to get a vehicle down there. My brother took his big Dodge V-10 down there, and it was really tight. Also very slippery, and we were pretty sure he was going to need to be pulled out.

We had our sound man and an extra roadie. We also had a giant canopy and lights, so it was totally cool. The sound sysem sounded the best it ever has, since I replaced the Peavey EQ with a dbx 2215. I also spent a lot of time setting the dbx 1066 compressor. It made all the difference in the world. We were running JBL MR-918s for subs and JBL MR-935 three-ways on top, all driven by a QSC MX 1500a. We power the subs off one side and the mains off the other. Had plenty of clean power, but I worry about it sometimes. The monitors are run off a separate amp.

Our drummer had to go to North Carolina for a conference, so we had a sub, who was great. After the gig, another drummer came up and introduced himself, and offered to sub. Sounds like he's played in some well-known local bands. We chatted for a while, and came to find out that his wife's sister is married to my step-sister's cousin. Small world, eh?

OK, so after we're all packed up, it's time to get the Dodge out of the hole. Ain't gonna happen, so I've gotta back my Sequoia down the skinny little driveway between the house and the fence to pull him out. It was really tight, and I had four drunk helpers telling me which way to turn (I was sober ... I don't drink. See related posts). A regular laugh riot. Anyway, we hooked him up, and pulled his sorry ass clean out of there. Toyota rules, RULES!

Got home by 11:30. Cool.

2. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    You always have the best stories...

3. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Very cool. Glad you had fun. That is what it's all about!! :)

4. cool....

it's neat to hear of a good gig, and how a small change made a difference (pa gear / setup), and relate to the good feeling of a memorable performance. and how sometimes, neat things happen by accident!!!! (meeting someone tied into your circle of family or friends)

hey.... about that single QSC running your pair of subs AND pair of mid/hi packs...

:eek: :eek: :eek:

those jbl cabs and qsc amps are top notch club gear, i repeat top notch, i just cringe at the thought of trying to move so much air with one (note, one of the best prosound amp series ever made) with one amp beating it's guts out.

we run a 900 w @4 ohm QSC plx-3002 for the tops. yamaha s215 IV. and a qsc mx2000 for the subs, jbl srx w/2x18's ea side. it sounds gorgeous and power to spare. qsc mx series are fantastic amps, but you really are squeezing blood from a stone when running all 4 boxes with ONE!!!

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Well, the MX1500a is about 500 watts a side at 4 ohms, so we have about 250 watts per speaker available (they're rated at about 250 watts each, but I'd like to have a bunch more headroom). I cross over at about 100 hz between the subs and mains, so I suspect the mains have plenty of power, and the subs are at the edge. The main thing is that we don't blow anyone's eardrums out by cranking it up.

6. just be careful with running 4 boxes with one mx 1500 - if it clips, square waves are evil bad for amps and speakers..... especially nice amp and speakers like you have!!!

i hope to have a good gig story... we get to play on a cruise boat 7/31 that is from the Coeur D' Alene resort in Idaho. Ever heard of the resort? I guess it is a somewhat famous 5 star hotel.

we play as we cruise across the lake, a good time shall be had!!!!!! i went as a spectator last year, it was cool!!!!!

b

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Have fun with that.. my luck i would get seasick and vomit ell over my band mates...

Sounds like a good gig Munji.. how many people came to spectate?

8. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
  9. Good to hear someone had a good gig. I did one three nights ago with a heavy metal band ("Walpurgis") at a club downtown. So here I am, I'm doing fine, and then there's a couple of drunk stage jumpers that fly up on stage. They knock into the rhythm guitarist and he's trying to protect his ESP while beating one of them back. At this point the whole place has erupted and it's getting scary (the fact that I'm 15 didn't help). So between the 5 of us we all decide at the same time to get the hell off that stage, trouble is that I get whacked upside the head by some massive beast of a man and fall over on to a bottle of beer that had made it's way onto the stage. I've got six or seven serious carvings into my back now, it looks like I was attacked by a bear.

10. "More Munji good gig stories please"

(ahem)

:cool:

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    So, this means you can marry him without breaking any laws, right?