1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good god, what have I done.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Microbass, Feb 18, 2005.

1. OK, my Trace arrived today.
    Now, I do not have cabs that are powerful enough for the amp, but obviously I'm thinking I can play at low volumes.

Well, i plug in, and to my unknownst, the mute switch is on. The mute switch is different from the other Trace i've used previously. I'm thinking it's off, when it's on. I am still getting some sound, so I think, for some reason, that it's just 'cuz the speakers won't pull any power, hence low vol.

however, when i go test the mute switch, I've got the gain knobs set at 9. FEEDBACK. INSANE FEEDBACK. Enough so that, one of my speakers has a small tear in it. I unplug, and give both the amp and cabs a while to settle down. I mean, it was so intense I almost crapped myself. Took away a few years of my life at that I'd think.

After letting it settle, I turned back on, and played for a good 30mins, and all was well, all knobs and sliders work great. SO i go for a shower, lunch and misc things, so about an hour at least later I go to try 'er out again. Same bass, same set up, and for 2 minutes the volume was coming and going - like a wave; as if someone was very slowly turning up the volume to it's current setting, then turning it back down to almost nothing.

...What have I done to my power amp!? Ahhh!

What I'm running:
    Trace AH250 GP12SMX
    two Laney 1x12 cabs, 100 watt RMS, 8 ohm
    each cab is in a different channel on the amp.

Thoughts? :meh:

2. hmm, on further inspection, this happens when I have the preshape on , which is absoulutly essential for my sound!

arrgh. :meh:

3. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Sounds like your tubes have gone to crap. That happened to a friends Peavey 5150 at a show. Sounded kind of cool but he freaked out about it.

Was the head new or used?

4. head is used, and only the pre has tubes, as I've understood pre-amp tubes tend to be very reliable, and when they do go, you don't get any sound...?

If i play for a while without the preshape button on, then turn it on (say 5mins with it off) this doesnt happen?! Sounds like a blown component to me... :meh:

5. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I wish I could help but I have no clue.

Get in touch with the guys at British Audio Service. Maybe they can help.

6. Thanks for the link, Kelly, but if I have to buy any components, will be thru gmaudio, as they are UK based. :)

Right, I have found that I'm having this volume thing happen when the preshape is on, and when I'm using preshape 1.
    So i believe that I've very likely blow an capacitor or something. I can't find the schematics online (i did a while back, still searching!).

When the volume goes down, it's a crackly/clipping sound. now just low volume, which worries me, however, i do not get this when preshape 2 is used. Eek!

Any thoughts? If anyone knows where to get schematics please post! ;)

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Sorry man, I didn't see that you were across the pond!

Here is a link to the schematic for your head: AH250SMX
    Its a .pdf file so you need Acrobat reader for it. British Audio service has the schematics and manuals for alot of Trace equipment.

8. Yeh i had forgotten I'd found it on that site!
    Cheers tho, KL.

Looking at the schematics, I think I've blown a capacitor or a resister.. possibly the op-amp itself?

The circuit for the preshape (IC4 i think it was) is made up of 3 capacitors, 2 risisters, and is an op-amp...

Guess I'll have to try n find a good tech around here.. Cheers guys. :crying: