Good Gospel/Worship Bassists To Listen To?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by organworthyplayer337, Mar 13, 2017.

1. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm looking for some great worship bassists/recordings to listen to in order to get some ideas and just learn.

I grew up listening to Israel Houghton and stuff but don't exactly remember many of the songs. I do remember hearing some monster basslines though.

Anyway if anyone could recommend some good players to listen to and look into I would greatly appreciate it :)

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  2. organworthyplayer337

organworthyplayer337 Professional Hack

Oct 28, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    Bump

3. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    Andre Gouche.

4. Jhengsman

Jhengsman

Oct 17, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think part of the low response rate comes from the fact that Israel and the New Breed and their parent church Lakewood in Houston represents a fusion of Black, White and Mexican influences at a higher than normal rate. Secondarily while I can name off top ministries, singers and choirs directors in more narrowly focused Urban Gospel it would take Google Fu to find the names of the musicians, in some cases they are also top sessions pros, in others that choir is his only gig.

5. Robear22

Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Zion, Ill
    Here are some bassists that I know of that play in this field.

Justin Raines (Israel & New Breed)
    Andrew Gouche (The Godfather. Has played for a lot of people)
    Maurice Fitzgerald (John P. Kee and Fred Hammond)
    Alan 'Snoop' Evans (Fred Hammond and William McDowell)
    Josh Ham (Planetshakers)
    Norm Stockton (Lincoln Brewster)
    Thaddeus Tribbett (Tye Tribbett)

6. Acoustic356

Acoustic356 Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Earth
    Definitely Justin Raines. He also does Skype and in person lessons. I have my first lesson with him tonight!

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  7. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Sharay Reed.

c_maj, FilterFunk, ERicks and 2 others like this.
  8. Matt Tennikoff playing Salvation Is Here (Hillsong). Bass solo in the breakdown.

organworthyplayer337 likes this.
  9. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    All of kirk franklins bass players are awesome to grab stuff from.

10. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Tommy Sims, played some of the Bass on some of Israel Houghton's solo stuff. He produced it also, but he's an excellent Bass Player. He's a great songwriter too. I love his playing on some of the early CCM with Charlie Peacock.

Abe Laborial played a pile on Andrea Crouches Mid 70's stuff and ripped. He also played on a lot (most) of the early Integrity worship stuff with Ron Kenoley. One of the best ever in any Genre.

Adam Nitti (another monster player) played for Stephen Curtis Chapman. Jimmy Lee Sloas played and toured with a lot of Christian Artists in the 90's, he played some great stuff for Russ Taft. Saw him live twice, he's the real deal. He's now THE first call touring bassist in Nashville with acts like Keith Urban.

c_maj likes this.
  11. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    Hope this is not considered inappropiate resurrecting of older threads, but I'll second Josh Ham. Never heard of him or Planetshakers until a couple months ago surfing the web for bass videos. Ran across Mike Brandenstein's channel where he was covering Nothing is Impossible.

Mike mentioned digging the bass players style and will do more Planetshakers in the future, but I don't think he has yet (Mike, if you're here on TB... hint hint).

So I searched on the Internet and got Josh's name and searched further. Found his video on youtube for Alive Again and was impressed. His style sounds refreshing for worhip sounds. None of the typical subbued but driving 8th notes on chorus with root plus 5ths on the versus like Tomlin or Moen. Newer, more modern style and mixes in slapping, but he works it well so that it never over powers the mix or the song.

So I've been studying Josh Ham in these past months. Still digging his sound. Sure wish I could get that tight and not over-powering grind on my Ampeg that he gets. Been telling my wife I need a Ampeg V-4B with a fridge to no avail.

Robear22 likes this.
  12. I'm here! Thanks for the shout out and the push to get another Planetshakers cover out! Actually looking at doing This Is Our Time for June 8th. Any other suggestions?

13. c_maj

c_maj

Jun 24, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yep, and Fred Hammond himself as well.

14. SgtHulka

SgtHulka Suspended Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2019
    Fort Arnold
    Josh Ham is a monster!

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021