Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good grades=great bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Guss, Nov 4, 2002.

1. Hi-ho out there!
    As it turns out, if I get a G.P.A of 4.5 or higher, my dad is gonna get me a bass worth up to $800!
    YEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!
    Anyway, any suggestions on what I should get? What's the best bass for the money?

2. For that amount, I would look at a Skyline 55-01. IF, that is, you want a 5 string.
    What kind of GPA is that? When I went to school, perfect a's meant a GPA of 4.0.

Mark

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Would your parents consider a 40+ year-old guy for adoption???

4. steve 1

steve 1 Guest

Feb 18, 2002
    utica, ny
    dude...i dont know what school you go to but, a 4.0 is a 100 average...so you have to get a 105 to get this bass?

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Schools have honors and AP classes now that count for 5 grade point credits so it's possible to get a 5.0 now. It's not that hard though school is a joke these days (in terms of difficulty). I went to a great school and breezed through with greater than 4.0 (don't remember exactly what it was). So it's doable for sure.

6. At my school, with the AP classes I'm pretty sure it's possible to get around a 5.6. (4.0 * 1.4x credit). I'm in all advanced classes right now, so I'm pulling a 5.2 in everything. (I've got an A in 1.3x credit classes)

7. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    An American Jazz Bass. Now back to the books!

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Put in another 700-800$ of your own, and treat yourself to a REALLY good bass...

9. Weren't you the guy who insisted on pronouncing bass the instrument like bass the fish? With that kind of confusion, are you sure what your dad has promised to buy you?

"Now fillet 'em, kid."

10. That's the best idea I've heard so far. :cool:

Psst - A new Stingray should only run about $1,100
    with case & tax. Check them out.

Good luck.

Mike J.

11. Kingston MTD. Good sale on Fender. Used Ray.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

13. find a warwick thumb for really chead and spend a few hundred more :D

14. Yup, my school is set to a 5.0 system.
    Anyway....I was just joking about the pronunciation of the instrument. Sometimes, just for kicks, I go up to someone and tell them that I play the "bass"(pronouncing it like the fish) and then actually play something that would tell them that I do know how to play. It really screws with their head. Try it sometime, it's a blast.:D

15. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Boy, it's sure gonna be funny when you come home with a report card with all As and pops starts laughing maniacally. "Kids these days...they'll believe anything..." :D

16. Get a used Fender Roscoe Beck 5. I've seen some for sale around $750. I bought one 5 years ago and it was the single best gear purchase I ever made. It's still my main fretted bass.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin

If I got good grades, I didn't get grounded. Seemed like a good deal at the time. Guess I should have held out. :D

I'm not bitter, though.

Oh yeah... um, buy a Kingston. Or about 6 Essex basses.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im really suprised no one has mentioned G&L basses!

If you look around, they can be had for about $800 new, and much less used.

Killer handmade american instruments, for a killer price.

Its not often that you hear any negative comments about them. Ive only heard one person complain.

Peace
    Nick

19. oldirtymoney

oldirtymoney Banned

Jul 16, 2002
    california, carslbad
    Not to dissapoint but 800 bucks isnt as much ass it seems when it comes to basses. I mean dont get me wrong at all you can get a pretty good bass for that much money but top brands such as Warwick, Spector, Pedulla, Fodera, conklin. all thoughs cost a lot more then 800. But for 800 you can get a good fender, Ibenze, yamaha. :cool:

20. Whenver I order a Bass Ale, I pronounce it "bass".