Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good "Groove punk" bands?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Money, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I have this uncontrollable urge to listen to punk bands... but not just any old 1-4-5 punk bands... i want some groove punk.

Reccomendations?

2. Rope

Rope

May 27, 2003
    Essexville, MI
    The Minutemen, with Mike Watt. The groovingest, funkiest punk bassist that ever was.

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    w00t! Hell Yeah!!!

Get yourself some fIREHOSE too!

http://www.corndogs.org/ <-- download some legal stuff ;)

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    i dont know if it fits groove punk... but you might want to give The Music a try. they certainly groove in a way that isnt like any other.

5. Word. Seek out anything and everything with Watt on it.
    For "punk" of the "thinking man's" variety, I also dig ALL/Descendents and Lagwagon.

6. I think Jukebox Breakdown by Saves the Day is kind of groovy/punkish.

7. gang of four

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    rancid

9. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    The Clash?

Second Rancid.

10. anti flag, bouncing souls.

not really grooves, but some cool lines anyway!! :D

11. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Yes yes yes!!
    :)

12. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    Infectious grooves

13. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    Well about rancid, depends which album, out come the wolves and life wont wait are probably the grooviest. st 93 is raw and good punk not groovy. So is st 2000 but thats ****ty.
    note if you happen to have seen that video on MTV (not mtv2 good vids there)try and pretend it doesn't exist)

However forget rancid check out operation ivy, for the most part the baselines there are more ska orientated, their easier to play but cooler IMO. Futures same bass player as rancid twords the start of his career prior rancid.

I've heard a couple of cool basslines from anti-flag but they suck ass because of the singer (whom i beleive is the bassist). The rest their music fine but i want to shoot the singer in the head.

Look for punk bands with ska influence.

14. eh, wrong. the lead guitarist does most of the singing, but the rythme and bassist take over now and then for a few songs. so meh to you.

personally i like his singing! its different, not in a horrible way(imo), but i could see your point of veiw on that!

15. The Clash. London Calling is a groovy album.

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Oh man... punk and groove are complete opposites. When a punk band grooves, they aren't doing punk anymore. I don't think of the Minutemen (and a lot of early rock "punk") they are just rock bands from a different scence. Ah yes, the all important my music is defined by where I am from, what I wear, and who I like as apposed to the music I play. I hate that.

When the Clash grooved, they were doing Reggae, not punk. There are funk/punk band, even though I think punk once again doesn't belong there. Funk Rock is more apropriate. Infectious Grooves are a great example, along with the Red Hot Chili Peppers pre Californication.

Uh, just so you know, I don't hate all punk. 80% of it, probably, but not all of it. Most of it is underproduced garbage (I-IV-V as you stated). How many times can a band play "Blitzkrieg Bop" with a different melody/words and get away with it? :meh:

17. I love that song Cheeseburger. I also love to listen to the song Anthrax as loud as I can in my car..."And i feel like a beetle on its back
    And there's no way for me to get up
    Love'll get you like a case of anthrax
    And that's something i don't want to catch"

All of Gang Of Four stuffs.
    The Mekons were good too.
    or Mission Of Burma ..good stuff!

18. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    older Guttermouth, Burnin' Groove, Dead Kennedys, Straight Faced, The Grabbers, Spermbirds, Fugazi..

not necessarily the best punk bands, but fairly groovy... I think anyways...

stuff like pennywise, good riddance, lagwaggon, strungout, bad religion... thats all kinda groovy.. i dunno if they can be considered "punk".. I call them california style punk.. i dunno... i like punkrock :)

19. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Punk Rock isnt always about this music itself but the lyrical content.