Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good head/cab for under $500 ???????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by adamaarts, Jan 28, 2002.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    im looking for a good bass head and cabinet (preferably new) and was wondering which would be a good pick? i have seen the rogue 200w head and a gallien krueger backline 1x15 cab. but is rogue a good buy? i know they are cheaply made, but has anyone had one and give any problems they have? i was also looking at the GK backline head also. any suggestions? i would like to stay under $500, and i like 15" cabs. after a few paychecks i will add a 4x12. any advice will be great! thanks!

2. I haven't tried a Rogue head, but in general, most Rogue products have average reliability with bad sound. Personally, I'd rather have a good combo than a mediocre stack, some combos offer you all the power, volume and sound you need for less than a stack, but if that's what you really want, get what pleases you. Hartke heads can be pretty cheap, around $300, some around $220, and they're very good quality significantly better than Rogue. I find them a little bland and metallic sounding, but that's just my experiences with one example, overall hartkes are great. In addition there's the GK backline head for around $250, I haven't heard this one either, but GK does have a pretty good rep, there's a GENZ-BENZ head available at Musiciansfriend.com for about $300
    As for cabs, the backline sounds fine, you can find some other cheap cabs at Music123.com, a lot of 15's there are under $500

3. Check out www.avatarspeakers.com - they have some real inexpensive cabs... I'm personally thinking about one of the 210's they make. I read some favorable things about their stuff too.

Then you have 300 to spend on a head.

Later -

4. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    rouge is a big mistake, trust me, i have an rb200. It crapped out on the first day, soundlikes nosiy, excesively loud fart, and the cooling unit is crap. not a good buy at all, worst misake i ever made.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

I had 2 Avatar cabs. They can't be beat for the money. Many more reputable makers use the same speakers and horns. Some don't even use plywood and use crappy particle board, but Avatar used real 3/4" plywood with Daedood joints. I have a Avatar 4x10 and 1x15. They rule!

Quad

6. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    hey quadzilla, does the 15 on your avatar rig ACTUALLY hit the 30hz that the eminence website posts? are you running biamp? what head do u use with your rig?

7. Quadzilla

Can't say for sure if it will hit 30 hz cause I only play 4 stringers they only go down to the mid 40's (I think). I can crank it well above my tolerance level with an E with no issues...

Quad

8. Quadzilla

My current head is a Hartke HA3500. My Hartke HA 7000 is on the way.....

9. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Well the problem with the Backline 250BL head is it only has one speaker out I believe. I would still get that over a Rogue. The Backline while not so powerful sounds great and you can pair that with an avatar 1x15

Backline 250BL = $300

Total = $500 + some tax.

Hope this helps some otherwise look around in the used market. Hartke always goes for cheap on ebay.

10. Honestly you guys are all great and what not, but for the best possible sound quality mdf must be used. NOT PLYWOOD. For you guy's info that would be PARTICLE board. The ONLY reason it is not used is because it is super heavy, and not as road resilient. Just thought I would let you guys know that.

Peace.

Mikey

11. Is it a dealbreaker going for used gear? You can really get some insane deals with the moderatly used/like new gear.Both from private parties i.e.ebay,talkbass classified,etc. or from established reputable dealers ie. basspalace.com,bassnw.com,
    etc. New is always great but you can really get more bang for the buck going used.Just my $.02 worth here. :)

12. Quadzilla

No sh!t? I have always thought and been told (admitally not by pros) that plywood is better than partical board. Hmmm, learn something new everyday!!!:D :D

13. Quadzilla

Look at my latest post on the cabs (pics included)