Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good head (no not that you perverts)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fadlan bassman, Aug 19, 2002.

1. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    What is a good head to buy for my SVT810E cab? it will handle 1600 watts, I'm using an Ampeg B2 right now which is 350 watts. I want something around 500-800 watts for a decent name brand for less than 800 used. I also have a problem with my EMG DC40s being too hot for the b2 (starts farting beyond flat on eq).

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    (preamp-poweramp)

3. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    ??? what would happen if i put another b2 in series(or would that be parallel) on the cab? Like as in there are 2 plugs in the back, and hookin both amps into it.

4. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'd go with a ampeg SVP-Pro preamp with a new Carvin DCM power amp. You should be able to get that setup NEW for about 900. Used a lot less.

5. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    is carvin a good amp ??

6. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Screw the head unit, hire some roadies!! An 8x10... I can't even imagine. Hope your happy with it.:D

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'd also go the seperate pre/ poweramp way....a lot more choices, and you would get more watts for the buck!

8. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    the sound is AMAZING!!!!! I just love when the guitar player says he feels the air moving when i play. It has a 10 ft throw so the audience get a full frontal.

9. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    If you hook two B2Rs to that one cab, you'll have at least one dead B2r before you're done.
    K

10. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    i like smoke

11. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Yes. Inexpensive,, transparent,, powerful,, not too heavy,, 3 year warranty. I have the R1000 and its worked great for many long hot hours.

(of course,, you'll probably get a lemon just because of me,, sorry!)

12. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    1. Do you engage the input pad?
    2. When you adjust the gain level so that the clip light barely flashes and than add a lot of EQ you will have to readjust (=turn down) the gain.

Matthias

13. I also have a problem with my EMG DC40s being too hot for the b2 (starts farting beyond flat on eq).

I've never met a solid state ampeg that I've gotten along with, and the B2 I owned was no excpetion. They haven't liked the high output when I was using EMGs, and even by doing all sorts of experimenting with the vol/gain/pad settings, it just wouldn't get a clean sound for me at any volume. Somebody else could plug their bass into my setup, and it would be good. I got a ton more clean volume and solid low frequency out of the 150 watt peavey I was using as a backup than the 350 watt ampeg. Even though it's the standard name in 'rock' bass gear, ampeg isn't for everyone. I'm currently loving my AMP BH-420, loud, warm, and clean. Plus, it takes as much signal as I've thrown at it without complaining. Just my several cents.

mike