1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Good Head Paring for a Set of EA Wizzy 10 Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CH Design, Nov 16, 2016.

1. CH Design

CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Hello All,
    I recently picked up a set of EA Wizzy 10 cabs. Unsurprisingly, my current head (Ampeg Micro VR) isn't a very good match. In addition to only being able to hook up one cab, I find I have to boost the lows a lot and that limits how much headroom the little 200W monster has left.

What have people used to get a solid, full tone from these cabs? I'm leaning towards a Mesa Walkabout, but I'd like to hear some other recommendations.

Application Notes:
    1. My Ampeg Micro VR with two SVT210AV cabs is loud enough. I don't really need any more volume.
    2. I'll only be using an electric bass.

2. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I looked those Wizzy's up just for fun because I've always wanted a set up like that. But the specs say they are 4ohm cabs. Do they make an 8 ohm version? If not you'll need an amp that can run at 2ohms without damage. Maybe that's why the VR isn't working that great, it's not designed to run at 2 ohms I don't think. Check it out and make sure before you use it anymore.

3. McFarlin

McFarlin

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I know you requested other recommendations, but I have to encourage the Walkabout idea.
    I used it with one Wizzy 12, and it is such a great combination.

4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    IIRC the EA Wizzy 110 is a 4 Ohm cab - two in parallel would present your amp a 2 Ohm load. So most of the smaller heads including a Walkabout will only be able to run a single speaker safely/within recommended operating limits. A Mesa D-800 would handle the 2 Ohm load and give you a lot of what you may like about the Walkabout. Just be really careful with the volume control.

And yes plenty of people have run Walkabouts at 2 Ohms routinely, I am not one of them.

5. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    I guess I didn't read the orginal post carefully enough. He already knew he could only run one cab. Sorry.

6. CH Design

CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    What did you like about that pairing? Did you ever feel the head was driving the cab too hard? How much, if any, low end were you boosting to fill out the tone?

Thanks. I think the D-800 is just way more than I need. I read through the Walkabout owners manual. I found it odd that they mentioned running the head at 2 ohms since it's something they really don't recommend. But, as you pointed out, a lot of people have done it.

:)

7. McFarlin

McFarlin

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    My Wizzy 12 was 4ohm as usual. The Walkabout, despite a modest power rating, can easily drive that cab beyond its limits.
    The 2ohms output is thought to be a bit under 500W, maybe 460-480. I can't remember, but it was determined in an older thread.
    I didn't boost the lows too much. It has been a while, but I think the bass knob was bumped to about 1:30 and it sounded full enough. With those small cabs, boosting lows severely limits your ability to bring up the volume knob.
    You know with the extra cabinet volume and two ten inch drivers, your output capability should be slightly greater than what I achieved.
    The flat Walkabout voicing is just a great match for the Wizzy if you like mids.

I was able to use my Wizzy 12 and Walkabout in rehearsals with a pretty loud surf rock band (electric guitar, baritone guitar, loud drummer). It was audible, but without much low end (in this case physics says one or the other).
    I used it live on a small corner stage working as a sub for this fairly loud ensemble (drums, electric guitar, sax, violin) and it was plenty:
    Instant Everything!, by Stop Motion Orchestra

Back then, though, I was after a much more mid dominant sound than now. And lately I play in loud groups most of the time.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
  8. CH Design

CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    That surprises me. I though EA was pretty consistent in under rating the power specs. for their cabs (certainly their older VL cabs anyway). I thought you'd have to push a Walkabout pretty hard or boost a lot of low end before a Wizzy 12 would be driven too hard. Interesting.

Another thought I had is a GK MB200. I had one before (paired with a Wizzy 12 MLine) and really liked the tone (very full tone, but I'd prefer something a little more round/warm). I'd need one for each cab, but they are fairly inexpensive so it could work.

9. How about an EA Micro or Acoustic Image Clarus? Not sure what kind of sound you're going for but both of those amps are commonly used with the Wizzy cabs. Great if you're a doubler.

10. CH Design

CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    I've owned both an EA Micro (the 300w version) and an iAmp800. Both are great amps, but I wouldn't consider either amp warm sounding. Maybe they are just a little too transparent.
    I don't have any experience with AI products.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
  12. CH Design

CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    Just read the review. Thanks for providing the link.
    It definitely sounds interesting. Would you be able to comment on how well it did at adding bottom and girth to the Wizzy 10's tone?

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I like the EQ on the Clarus-SL because it is not too heavy handed and because the frequency centers seem to be very "musical." That being said, I do feel that I can dial in a very respectable low-end (for a rig the size of the double Wizzy 10 stack). That being said, it still won't have as much girth and deep lows as a pair of modern 1x12's, or even a pair of bigger 1x10's, but it does get respectable. Not a night and day transformation, but very usable, IME/IMHO.

14. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! Supporting Member

carvin heads also go down to 2 ohms. solid performers, and flexible tonally (even if a little bland) i have a BX250 2x10 with 2x10 extension and it fully gets to gig volume.
    I had a Wizzy 12 (4 ohm) really a nice cab.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021