Good head to go with an Avatar 4X10... also, Preamps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by incognito89x, May 3, 2003.

1. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    I finally decided on getting an Avatar 4X10. The reviews and the price are enough to convince me. I'll be ordereing that in the middle of next week. Anybody who owns one, or has ideas, what kind of head would go good with it? I'm still kind of confused about the number of watts. 1400 RMS seems like a bit much for a 4X10. But anyway, I was wondering what are some good options for a head (preferrably not too expensive) to go with it.

Also, would I be better off going with 8 or 4 ohms? I'm not in a band, and I don't really see one forming any time soon. I was thinking of just getting the 4 ohm so the head i get would get the most of its power.

Also... what are preamps, what do they do, and why would someone get one?

Sorry for all th enewb questions, but I'd rather not waste money, and this way I can learn for the future :)

Thanks in advance...
  2. metallitone

Apr 19, 2003
    salinas, ca
    Good choice on the cab. avatar's sound great and are worth twice what he sells them for and dave is a cool guy.
    If you dont see yourself ever adding another cab get the 4ohm version.
    I run a ampeg svp-pro with a crown power amp into my 4x10 and am putting about 1000 watts into it I can get it about half way up on volume and thats all the sound I need and then some. 1400 watts is the max it will take but not for more than a few seconds before you blow a speaker. But in the end more power = more head room which is good
    If you want a cheap bass head with good sound try a used ampeg b2 or b3 head. Cheap on ebay
    hope that helps.
  3. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Cool thanks. I've thought a lot about the Ampeg B2R before. I was planning on looking for a good deal on ebay for one such as that. 1400 watts seems like so much. I don't know how he can afford to sell them so cheap.
  4. bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Carvin r600 or r1000, i use a r600 with my avatar 210, nd i think it sounds pretty good.
  5. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    If you want to go with a power amp/pre amp set up. JT turned me on to Aguilar preamps. I never looked back.

6. If you go separates, I like the Alembic F1-X with a QSC PLX 1202. It puts out 700 watts into 8 ohms and 1200 into 4ohms. That way you can get an 8 ohm cab now and another 8 ohm later and have enough power for both rigs.