1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good Headphones for Bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by vernhillbass, Mar 8, 2013.

1. vernhillbass

vernhillbass

May 11, 2012
    I have a Pocket Rocket and would like to find a pair of $75 to $125 headphones to listen through, I have an old pair of 70's Pioneer's and Bose ear buds but neither do a great job. Noise canceling would be nice, too. What do you suggest?

2. jvbjr

jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Go to headroom.com and you can see the frequency results of all their tests.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    In that price range the AKG 240 studio are real ahrd tlo beat imo.

4. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I think he means http://www.headphone.com/

5. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I've been using a Pocket Rock-It for a year-and-a-half and the best headphones I've used are nowhere near as expensive as that. In my opinion, a lot of these "premium" headphones add an extra digit to the price and justify it by plastering some artist/producer name on it. Also, I'm dubious about the whole "noise cancellation" schtick in the headphone market. And don't get me started on Bose.

(no highs…no lows…it's gotta be Bose) :bag:

I get plenty of decent use from a behind-the-head strap set of old (late 90's vintage) Phillips headphones, but unfortunately they don't make them anymore. So when I went out to buy a back-up set, in case something happened to my Phillips, here's what I look for;

1. Behind-the-ear/wrap-around headphones with one unified cable coming off the right side. This is so I don't have two cables fighting for slack or catching on me or my bass on either side of my head. I just let it hang down over my back and shoulder, not between me and my bass. It's also the side my Pocket Rock-It is on. That is, unless you play lefty, in which case, reverse that. Some DJ-style headphones have the single-cable feature to, which brings me to…

2. Over-the-ear vs. earbuds. Personally, I like the larger hardware. I like my whole ear to really "feel" the lower frequencies, not just my itty-bitty ear canal. Sure, earbuds are great for an mp3 player when you're on-the-go, but when I'm at home or practicing alone, I like to get as close to listening to a real amplifier that I can. I mean, it's not like an amp just drives all the vibration into a quarter-inch sonic cone target right into your inner ear. No my friend, your whole body feels it.

3. Frequency Response! (sometimes listed as dynamic range) Never, EVER buy a set of headphones that don't give you the frequency response on the packaging. As far as I'm concerned, it means they're hiding it's true capabilities and/or limitations.

(Forgive me if any of the following is academic, but I believe it needs to be stated as a "just in case")

Standard frequency response for a normal pair of headphones is 20 to 20,000 Hz. The first value is how low the bass is and the second is how high the treble goes. So, the lower the first value, the deeper the bass. I just bought a pair of Sony MDR-EX58V earbuds for my mp3 player. (Actually, I RE-bought a pair to replace a set that was stolen. That's how much I liked them.) They chime in at 5 to 23,000 Hz and they sound great! Similarly, the replacement set I mentioned above (Sony MDR-G45) are solidly "not bad" at 16 to 20,000 Hz, but my old Phillips set (SBC HS520) are even better. They're even better than a set of Panasonic RP-DJS400 headphones (10 to 27,000 Hz) which are no slouch either.

So, although I'm not recommending a particular brand or model, these are the basic criteria I use when selecting headphones, and HOO-BOY do I have a lot of 'em! In other words, when you're hooking up to a Pocket Rock-It it's not just the sound you get out of them, form, fit and function all come into play.

6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sarcasm: Just ONE of the many services I offer! Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    I REALLY agree with that! And don't get me started on Monster Cable! :bag:

I really like the Sony MDR - 7506's but usually use the Ultimate Ears triplefi 10's when I am playing without an amp on stage. Yes, there are some that are better but I don't want to spend a couple hundred to a couple thousand more!

The Sony's are comfortable and provide enough detail and bass extension that I only miss my amp a little bit!

Dan K

7. I like my KRK 8400's. A touch out of your price range at $150, but when I got these, I threw my Shure cans on eBay in 2 minutes. Extremely flat, and very comfortable.

8. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Beyerdynamic DT770s are hard to beat for bass reproduction. The ear pads are covered in velour, very comfy!

9. Green1

Green1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    I got my Audio Technicas from here.....they are close to your price range and work very well......Good Luck