Good headphones?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rick Martin, Jan 24, 2002.

1. New neighbors moved next door and I need to practice with headphones now. I use a Pandora PX3B and a portable CD player and the cheap headphones that came with the player. I want to get some better headphones and can spend $75. Any suggestions? I'll need to get them mailorder.
  2. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The AKG K240M is the defacto standard in headphones for the studio.
    They'll run you about $89 though, I'd save a few more bucks and get these.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    AKG's rule. Get monitor headphones, not dynamic. Monitor headphones like the AKG let you hear what things actually (as close as possible for headphones anyway) sound like. Dynamic headphones are coloured.
  4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I use a Pandora and some Sony MDR-7506 headphones. That model may be slightly higher than your $75.00 limit. I've never tried the AKG product but these Sony phones sound pretty good to me!
  5. Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    I use the Sony 7506's too with my Pandora. They work fine although you do have to turn the Pandora's volume up fairly high to get a good level. I would try the AKG's too and see which sounds best to your ears. Headphones (to me) have a "synthetic" tone quality that makes me want to hook up my Eden 2-10XLT.

6. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    KOSS UR-20's are great (hold on for here comes the worn-out buzzword again) bang for the buck. Dry, tight bass response, work just fine as monitor headphones. Quite comfy to wear as well.

There are (always) better-sounding models, but I doubt there are any that sound better *per dollar*. If you get a pair of those, you can afford some strings too.
  7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    That's strange. I don't have that problem. I primarily use mine with a AC adapter though. If you're running off batteries that may have something to do with it.
  8. Thanks for all this good advice. I'm going to order the Sony 7506 from American Musical Supply for $99.95. This new practice set up is working out OK.
    Since I'll play a couple of songs from each CD, It's a nuisance to have to open the portable up and change CDs. I figure I have to use the portable because my component CD changer does not have it's own volumne control. Do I have this figured right. The Pandora, good headphones and the Discman type portable? Is there a way to use my big CD changer?
  9. Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Okay, according to the Pandora manual; they suggest a low impedance headphone rating of 32 ohms or less with a sensitivity of 100db/mW.

The Sony 7506's are rated @ 63 ohms @ 1kHz with a sensitivity of 106db/mW.

Psycho, do you think this could be a problem for the Pandora??

Ebozz, I'm using mine with an AC adapter as well. I do play a passive Jazz which may have some effect on the volume issue. I don't find the volume to be a big issue since I'm not trying to blow away my ears but I am having to turn that master vol up on the Pandora and at it's max it's not overwhelming.

10. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I have Sony MDR-7506s too!
  11. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Hmmm... this seems better suited to Miscellaneous, to me.
  12. Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I use akg's and love them. They are 600ohm so you're not going to run theese from your sound card or most stereo recievers. My carvin head can power them at low volums, but I built a headphone amp( ) and its made alot of difference. I realy like the sound. You might try its a great place for phones. Great service too.
  13. Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Oh, yah. You can also get the sony mdr-6 (not the 600 dj) and they are the same phone as the 7506 but with out a gold plug. They run about $20 cheaper.
  14. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I still use the older Sony V6. They have an acceptable impedance rating for use with most portable CD players without an additional amp too. AKG's are great for monitoring, but don't expect to get any useful sound out of them with that CD player unless you add a headphone amp.

As far as what I think about the V6, sufficiently adequate across the board. The 7506 is very similar to the V6, which was its direct predecessor. The bass response is good without being boomy, the mids and highs are clear and distinct.

They are also the type of headset that covers your ear completely, so the sound isolation is quite good. The sound stage may be limited somewhat by closed cans of this sort, but at least you can listen to them at desired levels without making everyone around you hear your music too. If you can still find the V6, it's well within your price range.

One annoyance I will mention is the spiral cable. A reasonable extension cable solves this problem, and then the spiral comes into its own in helping the cable stay out of your way.
  15. geoffzilla

Oct 30, 2001
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification
    How big are the ear pieces on the 7506's? I practice with an EUB w/headphones and the ones I'm using keep bumping into the neck. I definitely want quality and a closed ear deign when I go looking for the next set. I've seen the AKGs and ruled them out due to size.
  16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado

First of all that's a very good question Tapp. I currently don't have a user's manual for mine and I had no idea what the manufacturer's suggested ratings were for headphones. I contacted Korg and they are sending me one.

I'm using both active and passive basses with mine. I just don't have that problem with the volume of mine. I've never had to max mine out to get the volume that I need.
  17. i use the sony V6 monitors too, and agree with seamus 100%, except for the part about the spiral cable, which i really like.
  18. I have the Pandora and the 7506's and the K240M's. The K240M's definitely sound "flatter" and more accurate, but I use the Sonys for the Pandora, just because of the ridiculous power needed to drive the K240's. Like others have said, a good headphone amp will greatly improve the performance of the AKG's. Also, the Sony's have more of a "hump" in the highs and the lows, which makes it easier to hear.
    The Pandora's built-in sounds are another story.
  19. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Funky,

This could probably start a new thread but it sound as if you don't like the Pandora sounds. Don't get me wrong now. There are definitely better individual effects available. I just don't see many better multi-effects units unless you spend a LOT more money. I just thought that I would ask. :)
  20. Yeah, I guess it should be another thread. Anyhow, I have the Pandora and the Bass Pod and I'm not really into the sounds on either of them. Maybe I was expecting too much, but the presets on the Pandora are kind of silly to me (how many times have I wanted to make my bass sound like a spaceship anyhow?). For multieffects, I'm hopeful about the new Boss unit--though, as you mentioned, it costs about twice as much as the PX3B. Hey, someone told me the PX3B is on sale at GC for $129!! Anyway, back on topic....