Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Heads!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by WillySanchez, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Do any of you know any good solid state heads that are really loud, last the last head i might need to purchase..under a grand? im sick of upgrading, and i just wanna splurge and find my head already, thanks for any help you can give me. and maybe a power amp/pre-amp setup too, but i am really not sure, can anyone help me out i would appreciate it sooo much!!

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Willy, if I were you, I'd consider a preamp / power amp setup - they're much more flexible for future expansion or changes.

To give you an idea of costs, I just built the following rack:

A SansAmp RBI preamp ($275)
    A used Korg DTR-2 rack tuner ($100)
    A Carvin DCM1000 power amp ($390 shipped)
    An SKB XRack case ($55)

So, for a little over $800, I have a rack that throws up to 700W into a single 8 Ohm cab, or 1000W into a pair of cabs.

3. I'm kinda interested in the Carvin RL1000. It's cheap enough, I guess. With the right EQ and the right cabinets it might work okay.

Anyone got any experience with them?

allan

4. i second that. the carvin 1000 watt and 600 watt heads are really really nice, and very powerful.

5. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
    I've posted this in other threads but here I go again:) I'm runnin a Carvin R1000 biamped into an Eden D-410T and a 215XL (both at 4 ohms) and it's WAY loud and sounds F'ing GREAT! I just recently finished gettin it together and I can't wait to gig w/it. I did gig w/the 410 and the Carvin but I was still using my Peavy 18 on the bottom and people were comin up to me after our set telling me how great it sounded. We are playin out again in Feb I can't wait to get out there and crank it up!!:D If you decide to go Carvin and can afford the extra 80 bucks get the R1000 instead of the 600 never hurts to have the extra headroom.

6. are the carvin red-line heads loud for real? cuz i need a new head bad, i have a hartke 3000, will it be louder than that? i need this to be my final head, people say that the wattage is inflated with them, if i get it id be running it through an ampeg bse410he, and bse115, so do any of you have any recomendations, or comments to back up the carvin? i could really use them, im running from company to company like a chicken with my head cutt off,
    p.s. - does the carvin have any good distortion?

7. jplb70 said...

I've posted this in other threads but here I go again:) I'm runnin a Carvin R1000 biamped into an Eden D-410T and a 215XL (both at 4 ohms) and it's WAY loud and sounds F'ing GREAT!

I'm thinking seriously about getting an R1000 with an 8 ohm 210XLT and a 115XLT. For smaller rooms I could break it up, for medium-size rooms I could still have great tone, and for the big rooms I could bridge the thing and make everyone wish they'd brought earplugs :D

I do need to wait for my credit cards to recover from the last GAS incident, though :(

allan

8. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
    At 8 ohms biamped you'd be runnin 200watts a cab at 4 your gettin 350 wich is what I'm gettin and if I go to 5 on the master volume i can't stand directly in front of it I'll go deaf. As for distortion I can get a nice growl out of it w/the normal-tube emulator blend and the gain control. I'ts actually a pretty flexible amp. For around 600 you would be hard pressed to find a better amp brand new. But this is JMHO:)

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd say a used Eden WT-800. You won't be needing any more amps after that.

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Well, my JMHO tends to agree with the sentiments expressed so far...
    Carvin RL1000 into Aguilar GS410 and GS115.
    I've used just one GS410 @ 4 ohms, & don't need to bridge it to be heard over miked drums and a Mesa Dual Rectifier stack. I'd say it's definitely 'loud'!
    It's quite versatile too, nice EQ options. Though I'm happy with mine running flat. Great head!

11. for $800, here's a couple of options:

- a new GK-800 rb (you mentioned solid state) you can pick up a new one for about $650 and have $$ left for a nice rack. reliable and respected heads that have been running for years

- a used eden WT-600 or 800. don't think there are many disappointed eden owners out there, and you get that yummy tube pre-amp tone

good luck

12. I use an R1000 with two 4 ohm Eden 210XLTs.It gets louder than I'll ever need with 350watts into each speaker or 1000watts into one bridged.I've used Carvin 410 and 210s and Peavey 410s and 210s and never run out of power,even though the Carvins and Peaveys aren't very efficient.It's a good head.

13. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Peavey FirebassII.

475 watts into 4 ohms, 700 watts into 2 ohms. And they are loud watts.;)

Solid state, super reliable, and they get some pretty good tones, too. I would recommend checking one out.

Oh, and they can be had for around or under the $500 mark, new.

14. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I second that. Peavey's also released a lot of new heads. Such as the BAM head, which is 500 watts @ 2 ohms, but only 350 @ 4 ohms, and the Pro 500 head, which was also just released, and has the same wattage rating. :)

15. jplb70

jplb70

Nov 1, 2001
  16. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    i second the pre-poweramp idea... i have an Ampeg-SVP Pro, and a mackie 1400 and I can't concievably see what else i'd ever need to buy.

Moral of the story, LOOK INTO IT.. if the company you want to own makes a preamp (ampeg, eden, swr) it will be cheaper and more powerful to buy their respective preamp, and a decent poweramp, carvin is a nice cheap one.. Most people don't even bother to look around, and assume that a complete head is the way to go, but if you don't mind a rack, this is a better idea..

17. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Mr Falsehood...
    I need a little convincing here...help me out, if you please. I'm looking into Aguilar amps to round out my cabs, and I'm wondering why you feel a pre + a power amp is 'better' than a head. I'm looking at the DB750, and it's certainly less expensive than going w/ a pre and a power amp. Just wondering what in your estimation makes it better to go that direction?
    I'm guessing this has been discussed before, so if you want to PM me, that's fine.
    just looking for different perspectives. I understand the flexibility of the setup, and easy upgradability, but what makes it 'better'?
    thanks!

18. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Im with Falshood, this is my rig:

Carvin dcm 1500 power amp-$420- ebay.
    Ampeg svp-pro preamp -$285 - ebay.
    Dbx 160 a compressor $180 - ebay
    Warwick 6 space rackbag $75 local.

$960 bux for 1500 watts of ampeg earthquake you just cant beat it.

It is more versatile because I can add another preamp or change preamps or add/subtract whatever as I see fit. I normally keep the preamp and power amp in a rack by itself and the other stuff in seperate rack so the "meat" of the rig (what I mainly use) is portable ( 50 lbs) and higher power than any head you can buy and it I should not ever need any more.