Good heavy guage strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by complexprocess, Dec 10, 2004.

1. I'm looking to find a heavy guage 4 string set, and would like some recommendations. I'm going to be playing in a metal band with my brother, and for this particular band he tunes down to about C#. Right now I'm using .045-.105s, and I'd like to try something heavier to try and get a little tension back. I'd like some recommendations of heavy strings, and maybe a comment on the tone of each. I'm not picky, but I'd like to have an idea of what to expect as I try out a few brands.

Thanks a heap in advance.

my preference is nickel plated round wounds, but I'm not totally agains steels. I might consider trying a flatwound, but I'm not sure I'll find one with a tone that fits the music.
  2. i'd go with ghs boomers 50-115 if your doin drop c#
    but if you're tuning ever sting down 1 and a half steps i'd go with a really light 5 string set
  3. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY

Ken Smith extra heavy bass burners (roundwound nickel plated)
    50 70 90 115

La Bella Hard Rockin' steel M70 "D" Tuning (stainless roundwound)
    54 75 90 111

4. Thanks guys,
    To clarify, all 4 strings will be down a step and a half. I had considered a light 5 string set, but thought that might be just a bit too tight. I'll consider it, and maybe the extra heavy burners (I didn't know they existed, I'm currently playing burners, so that might be a good way to go.) Keep 'em coming everybody. I have a feeling I'll be trying a few solutions.
  5. zero7

Apr 16, 2004
    Definitely get a light 5 set, 120-95-75-55 should be fine.
    Don't be affraid to go higher, you are perfectly safe if you stay below 130-65.
  6. Are you sure they won't snap or something? That's probably going to be tight.

Maybe I'll get a heavy 4 set and a light-ish 5 set (if it's safe like you say) and see which i prefer. Since I've been tuning way down, i've noticed that playing flabby strings is kinda fun, if only they were a little tighter.
  7. zero7

Apr 16, 2004
    Actually, a 120 tuned to C# has less tension than a 105 tuned to E.

It's not going to be tight at all.
  8. Is there a string tension calculator somewhere that you used to figure that out? I'd like to be able to compare tensions between a few different setups.
  9. zero7

Apr 16, 2004
    Sure, there is a very useful chart on D'Addario's website. Link
  10. Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Not all strings have the same tension at the same gauge do they? I've always thought there was a difference between manufacturers.

11. Turns out I'm not smart enough to make sense out of this chart and use it appropriately. I'll try to have a look at it when I'm feeling a bit brighter. :) In the meanwhile, any assistance would be appreciated.