Good hi-fi shops?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rusty Chainsaw, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Now I'm over here in the US, I'm having trouble finding places that sell reasonably good and inexpensive hi-fi separates. I'm after a decent amp and CD player (I brought my speakers over with me!), so where do you suggest I might look, either online or elsewhere? I've looked in the likes of Target and Best Buy, and there isn't a lot in there. I suppose what I'm after ideally is somewhere along the lines of Richer Sounds (, but an American version... any ideas?
  2. Russ

Hope everything works out for you over there. Did you take your Sei with you?

3. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I certainly did! :D Only the Sei and one of my Spectors - I sold the rest. Still, plenty of time to acquire more basses! :bassist:
  4. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Keep checking back at Target. Whenever they have "old" stock that they want to get rid of, they have amazing markdowns (you won't be able to find an amp there, but if you're looking for the run-of-the mill stereo system, Target wouldn't be a bad place to keep an eye on). You also might want to try Circuit City if they're there in your area.

Edit: You can also check out local places, but ones in my area won't let you buy (or at least will give you a hard time) simpler things like entertainment centers or stands unless you buy a whole system.
  5. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Hi from another UK exile...

I've been here about 2 years and haven't come across anything like Richer Sounds unfortunately. Individual and boutique hi-fi stores aside, the only thing is BestBuy/Circuit City, neither of which are very good IMHO. You could try somewhere like Tweeter, but it's not great either.

Most mass-market hifi stuff is from the big consumer electronics companies, Sony/Panasonic/JVC etc., no specific hifi manufacturers. Also, it seems difficult to get amplifiers here, people only seem to sell receivers/home theatre amps for some reason.

I put together my hifi from eBay, garage sales, etc. - not nearly as easy as just going to Richer Sounds though...

Good luck,

6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I guaranty you there are some hi-fi stores in New Jersey or New York. I can't tell you what or where but there has to be. There's a store in this little podunk town right by me that sells B&W, Def Tech and other real high-end stuff. IF this little podunk place has it then they've gotta have good stuff up there as well. I'd try going to the websites of a couple of brands that you like and then check their "Dealer Locator" that many companies have on their websites. That might help.

brad cook
  7. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    i dont know if this helps, but we here in salem are fortunate enough to have hear no evil audio. They will carry whatever you want, pretty much. They probably have a website somewheres, but i am too tired to get it right now.