Good High End J Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CaptainWally, Aug 22, 2003.

Favorite High End Jazz Bass?

Poll closed Sep 21, 2003.
  1. Lull MV4

5 vote(s)
  2. Lakland Joe USA

7 vote(s)
  3. $adowsky

29 vote(s)
  4. Celinder

2 vote(s)
  5. Marleaux

2 vote(s)
  1. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I'm interested in opinions on high end 4 string vintage jazz basses. There are a lot of individual vs. threads, but I couldn't find a complete discussion. Can someone provide a link?

Anyway, I want a "modern vintage" Jazz bass, meaning I like the classic look and contours, but prefer an onboard preamp. Most vintage J's are offered with this option.

The poll is just a starting point. Please provide other suggestions. Right now I'm leaning toward Lull because it meets my requirements and is a pretty good value, but I'm keeping an open mind.
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I'd like a Fender Victor Bailey.
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I havent tried a Lull but i do liek Sadowsky's
  4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
  5. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I recently visited Lakland's shop and had the opportunity to plug in a Joe Osborne 5-string with a Bart preamp and Lindy Fralin pickups. This was one of the most playable, awesome basses I've ever come across!:D

My vote goes there...
  6. Skerik1

Sep 21, 2002
    Saint Paul, MN
    You can't go wrong with the original Fender. Their American Deluxe models are 20,000,000 times better than their "standard" series. Slightly smaller body and a couple more frets. They're the best, I think.

It wouldn't hurt to slap a pair of EMG-JV pickups in it either :D

7. I think it depends on if you want a jazz style bass or something that sounds like a vintage jazz bass.

the sadowsky is probably one of the best out there if you want active electronics and all that stuff. the Lakland JO is more oc a classic style one that really nails the jazz sound. and Mike Lull is kinda inbetween.
  8. This one :D

A Ken Smith BSR4J Custom

It is a Jazz and a half in my humble opinion. Speak to Ken and see what he has to say onthe matter.
    Apologies for the poor photo.

9. Or this one made by my favorite luthier Martin Petersen at Sei Bass
    Unfortunately I do not own this one ony dream about doing so.

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Benavente Vintage Vortex w/single coil pups.
  11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd get the Lakland. But I'll settle for this Fender.

12. steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    a trace elliot t bass is certainly worth the money. although a bit hard to find these days.

active passive status electronics and pickups. very hot output. ouch!
  13. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Aloha Captain, long time no see! There are many choices out there. You know me as a fiver, but I've tried a few 4s. I like the Lull, Lakland American JO, Sadowsky, and Fender FMT (if you can find one with out defects, boy, did I have a bad experience with an FMT 5 - covered in a previous thread!).

I gotta say, if you haven't tried out the Korean Skyline JOs, please check them out. They are certainly not a high-end top-of-the-line bass, but they are an incredible value, especially if you add the three band eq J-Retro preamp for another $250. I have a Skyline JO5 with the J-Retro, and I love that bass!

Anyway, if that one's too cheapo for you, I wish you the best on your search. Keep us apprised.
  14. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    You gotta just love Munji's quilted maple FMT!
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    What Munji said. I've had my FMT V since January 2002 and I'm still happy with the purchase.
  16. i've owned 2 lulls, one an MV5 and the other a vintage jazz 4 and they were both great IMO.

i've played most of the others mentioned as well. to me the lakland get's a good old school tone, the sadowsky get's the studio sheen, and the lull has an aggressive bark good for rock. my MV5 had an alder body with rosewood board and in passive mode it got a surprisingly nice old school jazz tone. if i were to choose one of these today it would be a lull.
  17. BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Same here ... I've had Lakland, Sadowsky, Smith, Fender Victor Bailey, Lull and I'll take a Mike Lull any day. Nothing wrong with the above meantioned and all are great basses but Lulls are just my cup of tea :cool:

Here's a pic......
  18. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Sadowsky. Just get one now and put all the G.A.S. aside!!:D

19. BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    I guess we all have our opinions huh Rob :p

:D :D :D :D