Good horror movies you have seen in the past 3-4 years?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by XIbanez4lifeX, Dec 13, 2005.

1. XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    The Ring and The Ring 2 for me and the Skelton key was pretty good also. Saw was good not really scary though.

Even though it was corny, Jeepers Creepers was good.

I am rounding up some horror movies for friends coming over for the holidays. :help: :help:
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Get The Eye. Your friends will not be disappointed.
  3. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    You can't go wrong with any of the Romero zombie movies.
  4. Halloween(yay one of the movies that spawned all these really crappy slasher flicks...except that this one aint crappy).
    Black Christmas(very very good movie...old too).
    Psycho(Hitchcock one, great movie)
    American Werewolf in London
    Texas Chainsaw Massacre(original)

Yes these are all old movies...but I watch them at least once a year. Unless you want newer horror movies. Then go for Ju-On(kinda short, but good)...or The Grudge. Definately Jacob's Ladder(ok, early 90s, but its damn good...and not really horror, but its got freaky bits and its great to see Tim Robbins slowly deteriorate until the end, where it has a pretty big plot twist). Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake(ok, maybe not that great...but it has Jessica Biel in it *drool*). I have plenty more to name as I love horror movies, but thats it for now(and Saw sucked...the acting was especially bad for a horror movie).
  5. The Eristic

The Eristic Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cartersville, GA
    The Last House on the Left
    Evil Dead
    The Beyond (nearly any Fulci is good, in its own terrible way)
    The Haunting (original, not the remake)
    High Tension
    The Sentinel
    The Tenant
    Cannibal Holocaust
    Dead Alive

Also, I second Jacob's Ladder.
  6. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Dog Soldiers - probably the best Werewolf movie ever made. Not so hot special effects but great dialog and acting more than make up for it. The Werewolves are downright creepy too, with a lot of shots somewhat remiscent of Aliens.

Audition - I watched this thinking it was going to be another Ring/Grudge ripoff...its not...its one of the most genuinely disturbing movies I've ever seen in my life.

Frailty - I don't know if this really counts as horror or more of a dark thriller, but its very, very good. I actually didn't guess the plot twist before the end of the film, which is rare for me. The storyline flowed tightly enough that I didn't really have a chance to contemplate what I thought was going to happen. This is one of my favorite films actually.

Ressurection - Another of the more disturbing films I can remember seeing. Plot is thematically simillar to Seven but is executed differently enough to stand on its own. This is one of those movies that stuck with me for several days after watching it, I kept catching myself looking over my shoulder more often than normal...that's the mark of a good horror film.

Alien - I'm 26 years old and I still sleep with freaking lights on after watching this film! I think this is the scariest movie ever made, and while it looses a lot of its impact now that its such a part of pop culture, its still the model for how to manipulate an audience.

The Thing - The one by John Carpenter. Another classic that will never be topped. Its a very close runner up to Alien for scariest flick ever.
  7. You kick ass. All of those are great, also check out

"ZOMBIE"--Also by Fulci. It's great.

"Amityville Horror" (the original)--A little piece of hometown fame here. I live about 20 minutes away from Amityville, and YES I've seen the house.

"House on Haunted Hill"--Original is great. Vincent Price was a horror god.

"It's Alive"--Not Frankenstein, a baby that kills everyone in the room moments after being born = GREAT

"The Excorcist"--Still one of my favorites. I haven't seen the new "Excorcism of Emily Rose", but I think it's gonna suck. Stick with the original.

"Nosferatu"--The original 1920-something silent film, if you can find it, is a REAL horror movie. This had people fainting and freaking out back in the, it's the first Dracula movie EVER.

and my personal favorite....

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
    Not...I repeat, NOT the remake. The original. It's a classic. The perfect example of how very little story/plot can still make a spectacularly scarey movie.

8. Did you not read the above posts? I mentioned it(was going to mention the Thing, Amityville Horror, Zombie).

I also second Frailty, it was good.

And as for the Haunting...the ORIGINAL original(30s version), or the first remake(60s? version)? Most likely 60?s version since thats the only one I;ve seen, and its good. Why did I even ask :rollno:
  9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    House of a 1000 Corpses I believe is the title. It is the Rob Zombie movie that was out not too long ago.

Brendan will know the name. :D

10. I missed that, edited my post.

Also for the list:
    The Shining--AWESOME MOVIE. The original (1979 I think) was great. Anyone catch the remake made-for-TV version? It was like 7 hours long and actually followed the book more closely then the original, but the old one is still infinitely better.

Are you serious? I laughed at that movie more then I was scared. I just couldn't get into it.
  11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Yeah dude, it totally freaked me out. I was nervous around multiple people in cowboy hats for a few weeks after I saw it.

12. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Does anyone else think that horror movies are scarier when you see them on the big screen in the theater? That's my theory.

In terms of movies recently made, I think The Ring is one of the best made scary movies of the past couple years.
  13. Yes. Seeing ANY movie in a theatre (a nice theatre) is much better. Insane sound. A 50 foot screen. Darkness. One theatre near me has stadium-style seats (elevated as you get farther from the screen) and really nice big seats. In a place like that, a movie is quite an experience. I intend to see King Kong there in a few days. I can't wait for that one.

And yeah, the Ring was good for a new horror movie. I didn't see the sequel, but it got almost no buzz compared to the first one so I assume it's not as good.
  14. Really(about the elevation)? Cause we have that in every theatre here, even the cheap ones. And I agree, any movie is better in the theatre. The darkness + big screen + sound = one awesome movie experience. Unless you are a deaf dumb and blind boy...who sure plays a mean pinball.

And another thing about seeing movies in the get to experience the 'this movie is so scary I am going to cover my eyes during any scary scene and have my friend tell me IN DETAIL what is going on, except by IN DETAIL I mean speaking in a normal voice so that everyone can hear her so that we can all close our eyes and get scared by someone standing beside the main character). And the screams...hehe. Those can be absolutely hilarious. Saw Signs in theatres(didn't like it)...and the part where there is a figure standing on top of the roof, half the theatre(and I kid you not, but it was all girls...or guys with very feminine shrieks) jumped and screamed in terror. The other half of the theatre laughed.
  15. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I thought Event Horizon was a pretty good modern horror flick.

I also liked House of 1000 corpses and Devil's Rejects (the sequel), but neither really scared me at all. I just think hillbillies are creepy, and it was funny to boot.

If you havent seen them, check out Cube, Cube 2: Hypercube, and Cube Zero. I really enjoyed the first one, the 2nd one is almost the same as the 1st, with a little difference, and the 3rd is actually a pre-quel, but takes you behind the scenes, so I enjoyed it as well. Not all that scary, but good psycologial type movies.

I liked Hide and Seek as well, neat little plot twist, allthough I was hoping it would be more supernatural. Kinda same dissapointment with The Village. What it turned out to be, wasnt scary at all.

I like most of the ones already mentioned as well.

And for scary flicks, I still think Jaws was way up there, and Open Water freaked me out, due to situation. But I have a fear of open water if I cant see whats underneath me.

Oh, and several good commedy horror ones, like Dead Alive (Peter Jackson btw), are House and House 2, and Shawn of the Dead was hillarious.
  16. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Why haven't Saw/Saw II made the list yet? (Scrolls down list, sees first post, *blushes*) I guess they aren't really "horror" movies in the strictest sense of the word, but they're damn scary.

I suppose you could also take your friends to see Wolf Creek (which opens on Christmas Day), it looks pretty scary.
  17. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    The original poster actually mentions Saw hehe.

Oh and I thought of another one, thats not really horror, but was kinda scary, along the lines of Jacob's Ladder. The Serpent and the Rainbow. Cool voodoo :)
  18. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

BIG +1 on this. A classic.

Somebody mentioned "The Exorcist." I am 44 years old and I'm not ashamed to say that I've never seen this movie (on purpose) and have no plans to. Call me a wuss if you like but the whole concept of the movie creeps me out.
  19. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

My mom read the book like 4 times. She couldnt watch the movie either. Same with Pet Cemetary. Read the book a few times, had to walk out of the theatre and wait in the lobby when the kid Gage comes back. She always said in the books, her imagination toned things down. She said she just couldnt watch it, because it made it too real.
  20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I forgot about that one. That scared me real good too. I was afraid to stand near the edge of bed for months after watching that movie.

I thought of another...Candyman. I STILL will not stand in front of the mirror and say Candyman three times.