Good Horror Movies

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Sep 17, 2002.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    I just finished watching Queen of the Damned, Soulkeeper (one of the worst movies I've ever seen), and the first Halloween in a row, and seeing those two cow pies followed by such a classic made me realize that they haven't made a decent horror movie in quite some time.

For me, they've either got to be seriously creepy or really stupid (in a good way, of course). My favs include:
    Texas Chainsaw
    The first two Evil Deads
    Night of the Living Dead trilogy
    The Ring
    Dead Alive
    Almost any 70's to early 80's ones. They just had that great FEEL to them.

What horror flicks are you guys into? And can anyone name a good horror film made in the past five years?
  2. some good old cult :D

" Braindead "

is imo the coolest horror/splatter movie around :)
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Two that are good in my book are "Demon Night" (Billy Zane as Satan) and "The Borrower." Both have what you might call "explicit versions" that are so much more worthwhile than the watered-down, more "PG" versions. Both have touches of great quirky humor.

There's a later installment in the "Texas Chainsaw" series where a lot of it takes place at a remote Texas radio station, ("Texas Chainsaw III" ???). It is really absurd but in a good way.

"The Believers" is good for believability as detectives try to hunt down a santeria cult.
  4. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    That would be Chainsaw 2. Platehead is one of my favorite all time movie characters!

You're right, though, it seems like the horror genre has changed a LOT over the past couple of decades, with special effects taking a front seat to pure suspense. The only horror movie I can think of in the last 5 years that really white-knuckled me was Blair Witch Project - I was literally exhausted after leaving the theater because I was so tense throughout most of the movie. Although I love a good splatterfest, nothing creeps me out more than a good tension buildup - something that most modern 'thrillers' sorely lack.

Here's a brief recommended viewing list:

Rosemary's Baby
    Bloodsucking Pharaohs in Pittsburgh
    It's Alive
    Basket Case I-III
    The Exorcist
    Night Of The Living Dead
    Dawn Of The Dead
    13 Ghosts (orig and remake are both great for different reasons)
    American Werewolf In London
    The Omen

5. rickbass

So Beetle - Is that the one where the radio station chick wears the cowboy boots and short-shorts jeans to show off her ungodly great thighs??? And they have the banquet in the sort-of-cave place with "grandpa" (I think Dennis Hopper was in it as a sheriff??? Gotta see that one again).

Thanks, if you know!
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    "You'll never get credit for my discovery, who's going to believe a talking head? Get a job in a side show."
  7. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Yup, that's the one. Dennis Hopper plays (in what I consider to be his second best role, after Blue Velvet) an insane Texas Ranger who is searching for the family who killed his nephew (the wheelchair kid in Chainsaw 1 [Cmon Sally, PUSH!]). The family is holed up in an abandoned amusement park.

One of my favorite lines from that movie comes from the chainsaw salesman, who upon watching Dennis Hopper rage against a test pole with a big old McCullogh utters in bewilderment:

"ohh, my aching banana!"

Man, I need to watch that movie again - time to warp the kids a little bit more!

8. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    - Bloodstone / Subspecies. Great makeup on Radu (Anders Hove).
      Shot on location in and around Transylvania.
      Kinda' faded to cheeze by the third installment.

- The Puppetmaster series. Another Full Moon creation.
      The "group dynamic" (ensemble') of the puppets was pretty dern funny :p.
      I got uncomfortable watching the "Leech Woman" puppet for some reason :rolleyes:.
  9. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I thought Exorcist 3 was good psychological horror.

If you haven't seen it, check out Hellraiser. I kinda like 2 better than 1, but your taste may vary. I haven't seen 3 or 4.

I spit on your grave, I think it's called. Barely remember it cuz it was a long time ago, but some good scenes in that one.

Videodrome - weird and crazy. Again, saw it many moons ago, very strange flick.

Not really a horror flick, but I thought 8mm was a great suspense-like flick.

If you like George Clooney (and Cheech and Harvey Keitel) check out from Dusk til(to?) Dawn. Campy but good.

It's cliche now, but the first Nightmare on Elm Street kicked serious booty.
  10. tragos

tragos Guest

Evil Dead has got to be one of my all-time favorites. I like the second one as well, but it's more funny than scary (Dead Alive/Braindead is in the same category). Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead are also classics.

I haven't seen much recently that really had much of a scare to it. It seems to be more about gore effects and humor nowadays. I did enjoy In The Mouth of Madness, though--pretty inventive and freaky. The Ring was also good--not sure how the remake will turn out.

Older films that I thought were pretty cool: Alien, Rosemary's Baby, Suspiria, Near Dark, Cronos.
  11. danqi

May 21, 2001
    I used to be really intersted in horror and splatter movies.
    But I have realized that I respect life and fear death too much to find those movies entertaining. I know this just gotta sound cheesy, but hey, I don't care. I just can't laugh about movies like Bad Taste and Braindead anymore (not sure if I ever could).

BUT, I still love creepy movies with a good tension build-up.

And if YOU are intersted in movies like that ,DEFINATELY check out "The Eye":eek: . It's a recent Chinese film. If you get a chance to watch it, do so. If you watch it at home, switch off the lights and turn the music up. But whatever you do, do not read anything about that movie before you have seen it. I found that movies like that are much more intense when you don't know anything about them. Reviews and trailers just give away much too much information.
    When I spent one year in the US I went to watch "6th Sense" shortly after I had arrived. By the time I had left Germany the film was not to come out till a couple of month later while in the US it was already running. Because of that I knew nothing about it. Actually I thought it was called "6 Cents", because a friend just told me we were going to watch that movie. I did not know it was a horror movie. That's why at that time it made quite an imapact on me. Since then I try to get as few information as possible on movies. I also quite regularly go to an english-language sneak preview at a cinema nearby. There they show movies in english before they come out in Germany. Gives you some extra suprise and the atmosphere is really cool because the people are all in a fun mood.
    My posts start to get longer. Well, I guess you can tell I am teaching myself to type blindly with all 10 fingers.

BTW: Have you seen Jeepers Creepers?
  12. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I thought Rosemary's Baby sucked big time!
    I agree about the other movies, though:)
  13. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    On Scifi-horror front, I think Event Horizon was quite good. Laurence Fishburn was in it with Sam Neill I think. It's very visual flick, though, and I think there should be 'Directors Cut' coming out with lots of more gore.

Pitch Black was decent too, but perhaps a tad 'cult-hyped'.
  14. Pharmecopia

Jul 31, 2002
    - evil dead
    - day of the dead
    - any early 1900s (1900-1950) horror movie
  15. The cannibal halocaust is a good one, it predates the Blair Witch Project and it actually has content. So that would be one on the list... An American WereWolf in London isn't really that scary, it's a damn good movie though. I haven't really come across allot of "really scarry movies."
  16. rickbass

WillPlay4 - If that's the one where the killer runs across the hospital hall silently in a nun's habit during the night and that has the mental cell scene with George C. Scott where the killer's face changes, I have to give it up for that one --- superb acting and well done eerieness.

Maybe it's just a musician's bias, but, to me, well-chosen/performed music/audio is what really gives any horror flick its power, not just the visuals. Music will creep me out way more than film anyday....(Can you say Tchaikovsky's LSD-like "Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies"???)

The "Seven Deadly Sins" with Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman is also a whoopass thriller with horror. They're after a serial killer who is reconstructing the body of Christ from parts of victims who have committed the 7 deadly sins. For instance - an obese man is forced to eat until his stomach ruptures to represent Gluttony, then a wealthy defense lawyer is made to cut off a pound of his own flesh as penance for Greed - all graphically shown but not overexposed just for shock value.

I would like to see a first-rate film about Ed Gein (the real life inspiration for Texas Chainsaw, Silence of the Lambs, et al). Maybe Tobe Hooper's film about him is good - I haven't seen it. I've read several books about Gein and the pictures were severely twisted.

If you don't know about "the king of bent" check out
  17. I agree - Dead Alive is right at the top.

Two of my favorite old ones are:

Dead and Buried (an old band of mine acutally did a song called that based on the film, heh)

The Beyond
  18. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    Ok, I'm a huge horror movie buff. (Yes, lil ol me :))

First, anything of Clive Barker's will do for me. "Nightbreed" is my all time fave dark fantasy film. I'm also a fan of Italian filmakers, esp, the late Lucio Fulci. Stuff's gory, but artsy and atmospheric. I esp. loved "The Beyond". If I want a scare I'll watch a movie with zombies in it. They're the only type of movies that really scare me. LOL.

Wow, there's lots of horror movies I can name that I like, but that's a lot to list. :)

Here's one I'll recommend for now: "Ginger Snaps". It came out around 2000 and is about a girl who was bitten by a werewolf. I just love the atmosphere in this movie. There's also a twist of humor and it's not your typical 'teen film'.
  19. If you're wanting to scare the **** out of your kids... I suggest making them sit through all of 'chitty chitty bang bang', and make sure the volume is on high so they can't block out the singing.