Good Humbucker but low on the $

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DirkLanceFan, Jun 10, 2004.

1. DirkLanceFan

DirkLanceFan Guest

May 8, 2003
    Dallas, Tx, USA
    Are there any good Humbuckers that are at a low price?? Well is putting a Humbucker on a Standard Jazz Bass a good idea? Is it good to have a humbucker and a j-pickup together? If so would the bridge position be a good position for the humbucker? :bassist: :confused:
  2. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    EMG-HZs are ok.....a bit bright sounding though.

and yes, if you were to mix them, i would bridge mount it.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    humbucker just refers to the fact that there is more than one coil, it has nothing to do with the pickup shape. J's can be single coil or humbuckers.
    The typical J pickup is single coil, but mfrs such as seymour duncan, bartolini , dimarzio etc make humbuckers in a J shaped pickup.
    SD make a humbuckers which is two coils stacked on top of each other, bart and dimarzio make humbuckers which have two side by side coils e.g. top coil covers E and A string, bottom coil covers D and G. end result - the two coils give you noise cancellation.
    With a humbucker J pickup , you'll usually have a higher output level from that than from a single coil J pickup, so I personally wouldn't mix and match them.
    IMO, best value for money humbucking J's are the Dimarzio Model J's.
  4. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I'll second what was said about the Dimarzio Model J's.
    Especially since you can wire those to push/pull volume pots, and increase your tonal options considerably. I've done this with the Ultrajazz DiMarzio's in a standard jazz bass. It's a whole different, and IMHO much better instrument now. has the best prices on the DiMarzio's, and the push/pull pots. Dimarzio will send you the wiring diagram if you email them. Also, get a good switchcraft jack from Brian-IMHO the stock Fender jacks are awful.

So for little money, your standard Jazz can take on a whole new life :bassist: