Good hybrid amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by colin_028, Feb 5, 2009.

1. colin_028

colin_028

Jan 1, 2009
    im looking to get a new amp head, i was planning on going with a ampeg, because their hybrid amps always seem to have more pre amp tubes than other companies do. but reading up on it im not sure i want tp buy ampeg anymore because of beng from Loud.
    What are some hybrids that have more than just one pre amp tube, or is having more even going to improve the tone much from one tube?

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    If the brownish tube sound is what you seek, used UK Ashdown or older used Ampeg...

3. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    my Mesa M-2000 has only 2 preamp tubes. but it sounds soooooo nice. it has a FET channel too! it's a double hybrid.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    To me, the best sounding hybrid amps are any Mesa MPulse, or an older SLM era Ampeg Pro series.

5. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

My Eden WT550B has one preamp tube. It doesn't need any more for me.

Why do you think the number of tubes is important?

6. squik

squik

Oct 5, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I love my Trace Elliot V-type 300h.

7. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC/JAM USA: Distributor of Ashdown amplification
    If you like that Ampeg "type" of tone, but don't want one, I'd go Ashdown.

If you have the money and want "fat and organic", Aguilar would be very cool too.

8. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    M-pulse!

9. gtrandbass

gtrandbass

Jun 12, 2005
    Why do you need more than one pre-amp tube or even one? Because a salesman told you two sounds better than one or none? That does not make sense to me at all. There are plenty of GREAT sounding bass amps that do not use tubes at all.

10. Deepwoods

Deepwoods Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2003
    St. Louis
    I think Carvin has a new one that's light and cheap.

11. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Genz Benz. /thread

12. GK fusion 550

13. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I like the sound of my eden wt550, but I think that the sound is also a combination of the preamp tube AND the mosfet power amp section. for the record I've never had more than one tube in my preamps. if your looking for overdrive the eden will NOT do overdrive, but has a warm heavy tone when needed.

check mesa boogie

14. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    I recently went through the same thing. See my thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=508008

I ended up buying a Ampeg Pro 3, which was a move from my SWR 350x with one tube. And 5 tubes in this situation sound much more tubie than the one. Not that other amps don't sound good without them. In my search I wanted more tube sound and more tubes helped me go in that direction. And yes the Ampeg is not as loud as it should be for those watts--but that's another matter. The sound is what I was after not stadium power.

15. Definetly check out Mesa especially Walkabout or Mpulse to really get that extra "tubey" hybrid sound.

16. Craig_S

Craig_S Inactive

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    And nobody mentions Hartke... The LH500 is getting good reviews.

17. Okkinetic

Okkinetic

Apr 15, 2008
    Buffalo, New York
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man
    Aguilar DB 750 is by far the best hybrid model Ive ever played. Only down side is the price tag. If you've got it, its a worth while investment.

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021