1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good hybrid DB strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by theoldman, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Hi all. First time buying strings for my upright. I play it in several different style bands (jazz, country, salsa and blues) so would like a kind of "all around" type string.

Let me know what you all think. Thanks a lot.

-Mike

EDIT: And also any good websites aside from juststrings to use. Thanks.

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Spiros.

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    What he said.

4. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That said.... I'm now comfortable recommending the Pirastro Evah Pirazzi Weichs as an alternate choice.

5. Since a few months, I've been buying my strings from Bob G.
    Very good prices, best and fastest service I've seen.

(Just a happy customer)

P.S. I've bought from Quinn Violins a lot, and also Concord Music Supplies, Southwest Strings and Shar Music.

6. KJPbop

KJPbop

Aug 8, 2008
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Greetings! I often have to take my jazz bass in to orchestra for pops shows,etc. I need a bowable hybrid string; my favorites are helicore hybrids, evah pirazzis; and obligatos. I usually buy from the String Emporium in AZ, or Bob's House of Basses in the DC area. Good luck with your search. Regards, Kevin Piekarski

7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    So in this case your use of the term "hybrid" is referring to styles rather than arco vs. pizz right?

In that case all the styles above are served well with spirocores.

If you haven't spent time with them on your bass yet I'd highly recommend it. You can go down the string experiment path if you like but do so knowing you often get more confused and cost yourself more money than it's worth.

Remember the sound is in your hands. If something doesn't sound right when you play be sure to check your hands before your gear.

8. Thanks a lot to everyone on the advice. At least for right now I'll be having a professional do the work on my bass (even the strings) but I'll still need to buy the materials.

On the first note (pun COMPLETELY intended), no it's not an arco/pizz difference. Just the difference in styles being played. It's all pizzicato right now. At this point I'm not playing anything that requires arco playing, though I'd LOOOOVE to start playing with an orchestra again. Any recommendations on that sort of hybrid string for when that awesome day may come?

As for the second point I couldn't agree more. I definitely believe that the biggest impact on your tone is the hands and how you attack the strings. Which is why I've been able to invoke compliments on my sound and playing while using six to twelve month old strings. Not proud that I've gone that long between string changes but, hey it happens. :) Anyway it's like my old man always told me, "A good craftsman never blames his tools."

Thanks again to all.

9. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    you could try some strings that arent spiros, then once youve pretended for long enough that you didnt want spiros, you can get some spiros.

10. Peder Waern

Peder Waern

Feb 17, 2009
    Sweden
    What kind of sound are you looking for? Any references?
    Spiros are good all-around strings for different type of pizz playing, but they aren't really "gut-like" if that's what you're into. And as far as string age goes, a lot of strings sound their best at 6-12 months of use. Spirocores can sound their best after several years even.

Other than that you could search the forum for more info on strings and I guess if you have a sound "idol" you could try and mimic that persons setup and choice of strings. But as it has been said the sound is in your hands (and to a smaller extent in your bass).

good luck

11. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Perhaps we should figure out what you have first, what you like and don't like about them.

Describe the ends of the strings silk colors at both ends, then tell us why you want to change them.

12. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    Although I haven't read a lot of positive comments here about them, I've had Helicore Hybrids on my American Standard for the past week and they're doing fine.

Still about as bowable as the Helicore Orchestras I had been using, but more clarity, sustain and growl. I'm using them in a small pit orchestra for a musical and there's enough sustain that I can stick with pizz in a few parts that call for arco for those times when changing back and forth is too quick.

13. AndreasH

AndreasH

Apr 8, 2005
    Sweden
    +1

I'm not really into steel strings but I think the Helicore (Hybrid and Orchestra) sounds and feels just as good as spiros if not even better IMHO. I think the "Pizzicatos" sounds like crap though. Anyway, they sound a bit more percussive and not as nasal as I think the spiro D and G often tend to do.

As said, I'm not into steel that much but I think these are underrated. And they doesn't really cost that much! :rolleyes:

14. Good call on trying to ID what's already on there. The wrap on the tops of the strings are Green-E Blue-A Red-D Purple-G and on the bottoms Yellow-E Green-A Blue-D Red-G.

And I should have clarified, for right now all I'm changing is the broken D string. I've got nothing against the strings that are on there but was just wondering what strings people have had good experiences with. The friend I bought the bass from was playing exclusively jazz on it and I'm playing a bit more. And at $20-30 a string and >$100 for a set, I'd like to know I'm not buying crap.

As far as players whose sound I'd like to emulate, my favorite these days would have to be Reid Anderson of The Bad Plus. I just can't get enough of him and that band.

15. :lol: so I should get spiros, eh?

I meant BG strings that were that old but good to know DB strings last so much longer. I've been playing the ones I have since I bought the bass over a year ago and god knows how long they were on it before that.

16. Marc Piane

Marc Piane

Jun 14, 2004
    Chicago
    +1 on Spiros. Mine are 2 years old and I bought them used with about a year of use on them already. They get better by the day. I used Eudoxas for a while and I really feel like old Spiros have a similar gut warmth/steel zing things going for them with none of the drawbacks (it instability of gut, life of wrappings, price).

17. JtheJazzMan

JtheJazzMan

Apr 10, 2006
    Australia
    spiros are a funny string arent they. theyre a great pizz string but I have criticisms about them when bowing them. BUT as soon as I go to some specific orchestral strings which are great under the bow, I then MISS the sound of bowed spiros, and change back to spiros soon after?

theres some crazy voodoo magic involved in making those strings

18. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Yep. I'm right there with ya.

19. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    I have no idea what those are.

Francois?

20. petesenkowski

petesenkowski Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Originally Posted by theoldman
    I thought these looked like Pirastro Jazzers. According to the Pirastro site, the wraps on top are Green-E, Black-A, Red-D, and Brown-G. The tailpiece wraps are Orange-E, Green-A, Blue-D, and Red-G. Jazzers are touted for their growl and sustain; nevertheless, I know one bassist who uses these to play old-time string band music.

Thanks,
    Pete