Good Idea/Bad Idea: Avatar inefficiency(sp?)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FungusHumungous, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Hey all.
    I'm seriously looking into an Eden wt400 amp with a pair of Avatar 12s. I've heard that Avatar is kind of ineffecient and may need a bunch more power than i can afford to make them loud. Is there any truth in this? Any suggestions?

One major thing is that I'm poor. I found a good deal on Eden and would rather deal with not so loud (much louder than what I have now I assume) than paying twice as much.
    I'm still young, I can deal with a little ineffeciency, just curious about exactly why this is.

2. I have a Avatar B410 (which I'm selling to get a 210 and sb115)

and I have a Carvin DCM1500 power amp running my rig...I've never had to turn it up past 2 (on like a 20 scale) to make it plenty I'd say that you should be fine...IMO
  3. Good to hear that you can deal with inefficiency, because there is a lot of it around. :D

As far as speakers are concerned, their design is a compromise, and one of the trade-offs is whether you go loud, and tail off at the low end, or use speakers that give good low end, but are stiffer/heavier-coned/whatever, and give less sound per watt.
  4. Looking purely at the specs for the drivers, the 12's in the avatar cabs are not the most efficient speakers Eminence makes. The Delta 12LF has an efficiency @ 1k of 94 db while a delta 10 has an efficiency of 98 db and the Kappa pro 15LF is listed at 100 db @ 1k. If you average across the entire efficiency range that Eminence lists you get

Delta 10: 97.7 db
    Kappa pro 15 LF: 96.8 db
    Delta 12 LF : 94.3 db

For what it's worth.
  5. The question I'd like to know is will I notice a 300$ price difference more or a 3.5 db difference?

6. natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    The Avatar 12s don't need a whole lot of wattage to be loud. The lowest wattage amp I've played through them was my Mesa 2000, which rates at 600 SS watts. This amp had more than enough power to get REALLY loud. Plugging my Bass 400+ into them made me fear for their lives, as it was really too much amp for them.

Ultimately I think anything 300 SS watts (or probably like 100 tube) or more will push these speakers pretty well. The biggest worry when not having a whole lot of headroom is to avoid clipping, as this will tax the speakers a whole lot more. Headroomis something you must secure on the amp side of things.

Since you're probably asking about my speakers, I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm not so sure I want to sell them now however :oops:
    Mystic Michael likes this.
  7. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    ^Don't forget that those are Mesa watts.
  8. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    Is that a joke? :confused: