Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good idea/bad idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jim primate, Mar 7, 2004.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i'm growing sick of my 2 ampeg 410he's. i don't like the horn, i don't like the weight (91lbs each), and i always feel like i'm struggling to be heard over 2 guitars using only 50w amps w/ 2x12 cabs. and i never realized it 'til a recent tb topic bought it up but those cabs only give mids and no real bass, even w/ 2 of 'em.

i've had 4 different amps into that stack. ampeg b2r (350w) ampeg b5r (300w) nemesis na-600 (450w) and a peavey mark 3 (150w) now i know i could use a more powerful head. my b5r runs 500w at 2ohms. and i've always like 15's. never been disappointed with them. do you guys think it's a wise idea to unload those ampegs and just get two 69lb avatar 4ohm 1x15's w/ no horn? i'm leaning towards yes. i'd probably make some money off the plan too. any thoughts tb'ers?

2. Woodboy

Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Are you going to get a new head also? Most of the Ampeg solid state heads are not real powerhouses, IMO. I have never heard the Avatars. Even carting around one 70 lb. cab for rehersals seems like a lot to me. Have you thought of a 210 & 115? The 210 has more radiating surface than the 115, so theoretically it should produce more volume. 210's can sound kind of wiry by themselves, so that is where the 115 comes in. The 210/115 is the rig I am putting together right now. I'll take the 210 to practice and the full stack to gigs.

3. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

eventually i'll probably get a power amp w/ a sansamp rbi for a preamp. maybe i'll just keep the ampegs. they are rated 500w each after all. well, hell the avatar 1x15's are rated at 600w. what's a boy to do?