Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good idea? Bad idea?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fleabass89, Nov 11, 2001.

1. My strap pin kept coming loose and falling out, so I put a dab of super glue in the hole.. Seems to be holding pretty well.. Just wondering if this may be a bad idea for any reason whatsoever. So far everything is peachy.

2. If its clean and tidy and is holding well then there's no problem! Some people jam match sticks into the hole to tighten it up. I took mine to a professional and he just put a longer, thicker screw into the body of mine.

Good on ya

;)

Merls

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Superglue doesn't tend to bond with wood very well. And since you didn't put in filler in there, the superglue is having to occupy a bunch of space.
    It may be fine and it may pull out again. If it does pull out again, try this:

Get a toothpick. (or match stick as suggested) Dip it into a bottle of wood glue. Shove it in as far as it will go and then break it off flush with the surface of the body. While the glue is still wet, run the screw back in the same hole. IF it isn't pretty tight going in, dip the half of the toothpick that you broke off and shove that in there as well. The screw should require a little pressure to screw into the hole.

Allow to dry for a few hours before applying pressure.

Chas