Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Idea/Bad Idea

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RoyQBiv, May 5, 2003.

1. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    So a friend and I are thinking of starting a guitar/bass making company. The idea is basically this: to provide customized, US made instruments at production prices. The plan is to start off with a Strat clone (just because parts are so easy to come by!) and move on from there. Each instrument would be built to order. Your choice of finishes, woods, pickups, wiring, pickguard (if any), tuners (although locking Grovers will likely be standard), etc, etc, etc. The 'base' cost would be under $500 (for an alder body painted or stained in your choice of colors, standard configuration type thing). Is this a good idea? Is there a market for this if we stick to Fender-type instruments? What if we move onto other things? What inspired me was watching countless musicians buy $350 MIM Fenders and then change out tuners, bridge, pickguard, pickups, knobs: you name it. What do you guys think?

2. It all depends on what you want to put into it and what you want to get out of it. Personally, I don't think the already-saturated market is crying out for another guitar/bass manufacturer. If it's something you really want to do though, go for it. Good luck to you.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, it's a good idea if it's something that you will enjoy doing regardless of finacial success. it's a bad idea if you aren't prepared to face the heavily saturated market.

That said, if you feel you have something unique and innovative to offer(anywhere along the line, production, distribution, sales, support...et al) then it is worth a shot, the only way to stay afloat in heavily saturated markets is to be innovative and fresh.

another idea, you could simply offer a service to do make-overs for people's instruments, they come to you with what they want, they give you the cash(which would cover the costs of parts and labor) and you install everything. This would be nice, because if you also offered refinishing, fret-jobs, set-up...et al, then it would enable people to trick out their cheap instruments to greater degrees with much greater ease.

4. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    You both bring up good points. I should clarify: I would being doing this as a side business, not to make oodles of money. Almost as a hobby. You know, like a hobby I could get paid for. ;)

5. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Start out with fender copies, then come up with different designs.

Take popular basses, change the pup configuration etc...

try it.