Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good idea- need help with it...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kenbuntu, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    hey guys i wanna screw up my bass but make look like it broke naturally...any ideas?
    because i want to get a new bass, could anyone list some that would be good for a budget of 400(Canadian)? thanks
    And my other idea is making my current bass a fretless... is there any inexpensive way of taking of the frets wiht out spending alot of money? thx bye

2. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    screw it up as in "give it the rough look" but still plays or as in "break it so [whoever] will buy you a new one"

if its either, its a stupid idea. just sell it.

3. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    that is the worst idea ever. and if it is ur intention to break ur bass so it looks like u fell while stage diving so mommy will buy u a new one, you a leech upon humanity. ie ur parents

4. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    haha oh well does anyone got any basses that woudl be 400(CAD)... i dont want anythign uber, but some ting better than my p-bass

5. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    alright guys you all misunderstood me and im sorry for swearing i nver knew i would get all this crap, but i wanna naturally screw it up because no one will buy it...they will but my freking dad says taht u have to get 300 for my bass and amp which is impossible because ppl dont buy squier p-basses for 300, well at least not here in ontario. he wont let me trade it in or anythign... its either sell it or no new bass, and i want a new bass bcause my squier is a peice of crap, which sounds like crap, and i have no clue on how improoving my sound wiht out spending too much money

6. T_T

I'm not sure if you have been checking out Talkbass all that long, or just found it, or whatever, but welcome. I hope you enjoy everything this place has to offer, and really do realize that it's an amazing resource for all types of bass players.

That said, foul language will always get reported to moderators and it really isn't needed. It will always be treated as immature no matter how mature you are.

Finally, intentionally misspelling such language isn't changing the meaning...

To answer your questions (regardless of the reasons behind them)...I've 'distressed' instruments by playing the heck out of them. I've also (not intentionally) bumped, kicked, dropped, scratched, stained, burned, and cracked plenty of basses. A cheap way to make it look punk would be to put stickers on, then take them off, then rub some greasy hands or something where the sticky stuff was...it'll look pretty dirty that way. Knock a few knobs off and attach your strap with duct tape.

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Man I have a squier p-bass. I've had it for 2 1/2 years. If you wanna "screw it up" Scratch off paint, do whatever to it. It's a terrible idea. but whatever man, do your thing.

8. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    MO'Phat thank you for the welcomming? You're right i foudn this site like maybe a month ago im not too sure.I dont want the appearance to change. I want something to be screwed up wiht insede the bass..but you know i think im gonna scratch this i dea, i hsould just sell for 100 buks. Also you can close this thread, but i was wondering if it is possible to take out the frets, to make it fretless, or is this a stupid idea to??

9. well, you can disconnect the wires from the input jack, that'll probably convince your parents that bass is "broken" without any cosmetic damage
    and if you want it to convert it to a fretless, take the bass to your local luthier

10. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    Thanks for the HELP, i was thinking about that but then they'd be liek oo lets take it to the shop, they open it up, see wires disconnected, and'somone tampered wiht it all eyes woudl look at me and id get skinned

11. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    lol.....I love this place.

12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Yes you should. Unless you find it it fun enough (>100$ worth of fun) to break your bass.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How old are you? Are you old enough to get a job?

My first bass was partially paid for by my parents, then each of the dozen or so in the past four years have been entirely funded by myself. Get out there, buy your own bass. Part of the fun of bass playing is working up to new gear.

That being said, welcome!

14. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    you should just stick with what you've got.. damaging a perfectly good bass just to get a slightly better one is pointless. your best bet is just to get amazing at it and say you need a new one otherwise your playing won't be complimented very well.

however, that said, you could just do what i'm doing; "this next bass i want is adaquately better than my beginners one and should last me the rest of my life, it is also good enough to hold its resale value if i ever need the money"

that worked sooooooo well with my parents. :D

15. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    If you sell the thing for 100 bucks you can buy an SX bass from rondo which anyone here can tell you will own your squier.

16. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    first: i'm sorry for calling you a leech.

second: i agree, as usual, with tplyons. my parents bought me my first bass and then my second as a graduation present, but anything else (my myriad of effects, cables, straps, setups, books, repairs, and finally my fretless neck) i paid for by gutting fish and dealing with old people for 10-12 hours a day when i'm not at school. At first I balked at letting my dad pay for that second bass, my transparent orange J, i finally had the cash for my own axe, but then i realized he wanted to be able to say he helped fuel my passion.

Then again he called me quote "retarded" when i payed 300 for my warmoth neck.

that being said; get a job.