Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good idea or bad idea?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassplayajew, Oct 7, 2002.

1. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    As usual, I've tried to see for any answers for this question but have found none, so I need you to help me (Please). Would it be a bad idea to hook up a speaker to an amp and another speaker to the same amp both with speakon connectors, and then do the same thing but use 1/4'' connectors? So you'd have two signals going into each speaker. Would that work?

2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    What, exactly, are you hoping to accomplish by doing this?

3. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    So you'd like to hook up 2 cabs to 1 amp with speakon cables, and then hook the same amp to the same cabs at the same time with 1/4inch cables? BAD IDEA... BAD BAD BAD!!! (expensive too). Only 1 connection from the amp to the speakers and you should be fine, but I would HIGHLY recommend not using both a speakon and 1/4inch from the same amp to the same cab. Just my $.02. Some else can explain the technical reason to you. I'm headed to my chem lecture and honestly don't have the time... Sorry. Later-

4. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    something tells me he's trying to get a 4ohm load on each side of a stereo amp with two 8 ohm cabs...and believes he can do it by using both outputs into one cab and 'fooling' the amp. No matter what it won't work.

5. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    I was just wondering if it could be done. BTW I already have plenty of volume and I have a mono amp spank you very much. I was only curious to see if it would be a very bad thing to do.

6. There's no reason to do it. It would only be bad if one of the cables or connections was made up backwards, and then you'd be shorting out your amp with all those cords.

Just use one cord per speaker cab.

Chris

7. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    If your amp and cabinet have both tele and Speakon connectors most likely they are wired in parallell anyway. So you will not achieve anything by using dual cables, apart from possibly a miniscule current gain from increasing the effective wire area.

But as throbbinnut says, you might get a short-circuit if one of the cables are wired out-of-phase, and you double the amount of cables to wade through on stage. :) Better to buy heavier cables for your Speakon-connectors.

8. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I still want to know what he thought would happen....

9. bassplayajew

bassplayajew

Mar 14, 2002
    Bethesda, MD
    BM, why do you keep asking me indirect questions? I thought that it might double the power being sent to the speakers. Instead of 175 watts per speaker, I thought doing that might give me 350 watts per speaker (cabinet)

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Where was I indirect? The first time I asked "What are you hoping to accomplish?" In my second post, I said I was still wondering what you thought would happen since up to that point all you said was "what would happen?" and "I was just wondering what it would do." Now you've answered my question. So, don't get snippy.

11. cabooke

cabooke

Jan 26, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    This would be very bad. To explain it simply, if you do this, you will need a new amp.