1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good idea or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TimBosby, Sep 27, 2009.

1. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    This bass

SR1000EFM-72T.

+

These pickup rings:

[​IMG]

+

These pickups:

JBLF_1.
    JBLR_1.

Why? I don't know. Been jonesin' for a neck through flametop bass with chrome lipstick jazz pickups. Carvin is a possibility but I don't dig their headstocks and it's cheaper to find a used Ibanez than build a new Carvin. Well..usually.

2. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    What SR model Ibanez is that?

3. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    SR1000

I'm thinking metal pickup rings may look silly on it.
    Bubinga pickup rings may be cool though :)

4. Stampy

Stampy

Jun 30, 2008
    Connecticut
    Idk, any photoshopers around. Don't like the bartolinis?

5. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I'm sure the Barts are great. Just trying to find a way to create a neck-through JJ bass w/ lipstick pickups without building one from the ground up. Preferably with flamed maple natural top and a fast neck.

6. Honestly I think it'd be pretty ugly. And I doubt the rings would cover up the gaps from the original pickups

7. stephenq

stephenq

Jul 23, 2009
    Kansas City
    you get the idea i guess

i know they would be smaller but its time to eat :smug:

[​IMG]

8. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Actually I don't think it looks half bad in the photoshop. And pretty sure the rings WOULD cover the gaps. At least according to the research I've done. The SR900 has Bart MK1s which are bigger than whatever the SR1000 has ("Bart customs") and the standard chrome rings are big enough to cover the MK1s. It would need chrome knobs, too, probably.

9. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    I would do it.

How would it sound?

10. stephenq

stephenq

Jul 23, 2009
    Kansas City
    good question

11. Flatty Banks

Flatty Banks

Oct 26, 2008
    California
    Haha, I tried too.

14tljep.

Fail.

12. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    The more you guys photoshop, the more I think it would look kind of cool. As long as the chrome matches the Ibanez chrome in the bridge/tuners. (hopefully they don't use that "smoked" chrome stuff")

It would sound like Kent Armstrong pickups through a Bartolini preamp. I'm sure that's not a bad thing.

13. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Hmm. Ibanez says the hardware is "cosmo white." Wonder how hard it is to remove the "cosmo white" to get the chrome to match the pickups..

14. I'm going with or not. It'll hard to sell this one without taking an overall hit.

15. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I'd go with black rings instead of chrome.

16. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Sam, get your logic out of this thread! :spit::D

17. TimBosby

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Interesting idea. Would match the knobs. But.. I'd probably replace everything with chrome though, including the knobs.

18. Fajah

Fajah

Apr 30, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    I did a similar thing to my bass when I initially converted it from active to passive. Unfortunately I was replacing a humbucker to single coil jazz and because the cavity was so large, I had to make my own cover.

Before:

IMG_0007.

After:

CIMG2413.

It wasn't bad for my first crack at a cover, but I recently reinstalled the humbucker. I purposely used small screws for the cover so that the holes would be small and easy to fill and finish if I changed my mind at a later date. I wish I was able to use pickup rings like you plan to do and think that you'll be happy with the result assuming you like the sound of the new pickups.

19. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    I would go with black (or whatever color) rings to match the current dark knobs and tuners, and let the lipsticks stand out chrome against the background to show them off.

20. knigel

knigel

Apr 20, 2009
    Hopedale, MA
    I'm the Squier of Fenderbirds
    I was thinking all chrome, plus change the knobs. Maybe even the tuners.