[Good Idea?] POD XT + Creative Labs 2.1 Speakers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Phyrexian, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Hey people,

I just got an idea for amplifying a POD XT at home. I thought about getting them computer speakers from Creative Labs (2.1 system, 2 tweeters + 1 woofer).

It might sound good with a POD because those speakers are mostly full(er) range. Plus you don't need a poweramp because they are self-powered.

Any idea if them speakers can handle the low frequencies of a bass-guitar...??

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It should work fine for about a minute.
  3. Really? :)
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think meaning it wont work for long ?
  5. I always thought them speakers received split signals:
    highs to the tweeters
    lows to the woofer.

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Two wrongs don't make a right.

Only 3 lefts can do that.
  7. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Yes the speakers are more full range, but computer speakers never have the most favorable THD. So computer speakers will actually end up coloring the sound somewhat.
  8. ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I've got an old set of Creative 'Cambridge Soundworks' 2.1 speakers. I thought they were great when I first got them. It wasn't till I got seriously into recording that i realised they were all bass and treble, and a huge great hole where the mids should be.

I now have a set of Edirol MA-10s. Fantastic for cheap near-feilds, granted they aren't Tannoys, but what do you expect for £70. They give a pretty reasonable flat response, and actually handle 'proper' bass frequencies better than the old sub-wooffer. They also have 2 band tone controls and 2 inputs.

I've still got the old 2.1 speakers plugged in, handy for double checking mixes.
  9. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Now that's what I'm talking about. Thanks ga_edwards.
  10. Great replies, thanks for the tips.