Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Interent service providers (eg AOL).

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Feb 28, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi, I'm after a new I.S.P. that offers a £15 per month for anytime internet use kind of deal, do any of you know of a good and cheapish server please?

The reason I ask is that we were booted off our current one tonight for over usage (Myself and my brother use the same account), which was a bit of a scam as I assumed the £15 a month would cover more than 5 hours a day and not include regular disconects and 45 minutes blocks where no connection can be made :/

Suggest away please, I wanna be back online by sunday :p (I'm using the pay as you go at the mooment).

2. FREESERVE

£14.99 a month, totally unlimited access (I'm gonna find that one out...... my computer has been on for waaaaaay too long this month, and last month), reliable connections and so on.

I use it, it's about as good as dial-ups get over here.

DO NOT get AOL - every disc you pick up requires "a 12 month minimum contract" - so if you don't like it after one month, you're stuck with it. Basically, don't go there.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    AOL is a very bad ISP. Expensive, crap software, they spy on you, deceptive advertising. :spit:

4. I'd say Optimum Online but it's obvious your not in New Jersey...

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    *** aol sux lol

6. America Online in other countries? whack.

7. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Like any other infection.

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    it already dominates down here in Mexico :(

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Sorry to hear it Dave.

10. No, they're not allowed to call it America Online over here.

They have to call it AOL.

11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Same here, AOL Canada, which is silly... And as said above, don't get it...

12. BassWizard55

BassWizard55 Guest

Dec 21, 2002
    Rome, Ga
    DO NOT GET AOL DAMMIT!!!!

:mad:

Get Earthlink.

13. I second the recommendation for Freeserve, I've been using it for over 2 years now without any major complaints.

14. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hiya, thanks a lot for all your suggestions, to start I was going for AOL but have turned to freeserve instead thanks! PS - its got a 3 months dela where its £6.99 rather than £14.99 if anyone els eis looking for a new I.S.P.

One question though, what should the connection number look like to get onto anytime, eg the powergen one was 0 808 9916038

Should the freeserve one begin with 0808 or 0800, as mine starts 14700808...etc'. The 1470 could be my area code with the 0808 following it, but I want to be sure incase the charge us :p

15. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Nvermind thanks, I decided to ring the helpline just to confirm, and after a few minutes of 'if you wnat this press this number' got through to another human!:eek:

He confirmed that the number was the correct one, so it's all good! Thanks again for your help!:bassist:

16. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Hey, do you know the number for the special that Earthlink's got going right now? Half price for six months! I really need to get rid of AOL and get a different ISP.:(

17. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Just call them and tell them you heard about the special. I have a cable modem, but I saw a 6.95 a month ISP, www.access4cheap.com

18. speaking of ISPs, what are the cheapest ISPs for broadband? My family is more than ready to ditch this 56k and go broadband, but some services go up to $50 a month! We already pay $20.00 something for MSN narrowband, which is too much in itself, as far as 56k is concerned. Friggin contracts...

19. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Most cable modems are $40-$50, sometimes DSL is a bit cheaper. They do throttle it for the lower prices, but even the slowest DSL package is probably enough for 99% of what you'd need.