Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Jaco Tabs

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Da_Niet, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    I'm sure it's probably been discussed in this section many times over, but, here it is, anyway. Can anyone recommend some really good bass tab books with Jaco's songs, parts(or completes) of solos, and his exercises? I'm relatively new with the bass, yet with all the music I have heard and played on guitar, jazz is my main pillar of playing. Now that I've taken up jazz bass, I am still in awe of Jaco's musical legacy. My reading skills(sighs) are virtually non-existent as I am primarily a self-taught player. However I am quite familiar with chord structure, and to a lesser degree with theory. So, I'd really appreciate some good sug-gestions for some good books with more tab, rather than standard notation. The lessons will come later..........I just want to be able to get started with good dexterity, doing scales, arpeggios, etc.
    Thanks in advance

2. I ordered some Jaco books from Jamey Aebersold's Jazzbooks.com site. I recommend checking it out.

As a matter of fact, I brought my Jaco books and selection of CDs to practice with here at the Alert Pad for the next 72 hours....

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

"A Portrait of Jaco" has transcriptions of his best solos and good analysis as well - well worth buying!

[​IMG]

4. the jaco pastorius website (jacopastorius.net??) has a llink to amazon with a bunch of Jaco books. :)

5. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    DaNiet,

I've heard good things of the aforementioned 'Jaco' book/s... actually, I believe there's two of them with different tunes, and maybe an overlap or two, in each.

I have two tunes I've tabbed and are on one or more of the typical tab sites - "Amerika" & "Punk Jazz"

If you're interested and have trouble finding either or both, feel free to let me know via email. I can send them along as a 'MSWord' attachment.

michael s.