Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Jamming songs

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by allthings, Apr 15, 2005.

1. allthings

allthings

Mar 22, 2005
    What songs do you like to start up when you get together with guitarists? What songs do you both have a good time jamming out?

2. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

As cool as All Along The Watchtower is when other people play it besides Dylan, I cry.

Try Weezer (My name is Joans, Hash Pipe, The World has turned and left me Here), Metallica (Battery, Harvester of Sorrow, Motorbreath), or even some Sabbath (Hand of Doom, Faries Wear Boots, Snowblind, Sweet Leaf)

3. bass555

bass555

Mar 16, 2005
    freeway jam - jeff beck

4. I've tried lately to learn some covers...(alway's been a noodler) and bands like Sabbath/ACDC/Strokes/Led Zep are fun to play

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I have the same sentiment, but toward Dave Matthews Band. I can't stand the Hendrix or Dylan versions. :bag:

There are a lot of Grateful Dead songs (obviously) which are good for jamming. "Dark Star", "Scarlet Begonias", "Eyes of the World", etc.

I've always thought that Black Crowes stuff would be pretty fun as well, but haven't actually had the opportunity to find out.

6. sleeplessknight

sleeplessknight Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Seattle
    Chameleon is one of THE jam tunes in my immediate area. Every band I've ever played/jammed/gigged with calls it. That, Mercy Mercy Mercy, and The Chicken are all HUGE jam staples. I dunno, must be something about Bb I guess :p

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Chameleon is up there for me too, along with the Meters - Cissy Strut. Both are great jam out songs :)

8. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I also jam to chameleon alot too, sometimes for over 30 minutes at a time. Watermelon Man is good, and so is The Chicken. Also any 12 bar blues is also good.

9. start out with a 12bar blues, that allways works

10. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Any thing by Isis or Pink Floyd

11. RobertUI

RobertUI Thumper Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Herndon, VA - NoVa
    Hey sweet Juneau! We tend to jam out on Cissy Strut, I am also a little partial to "Black Capricorn Day" by Jamiroquai. We've taken that into some pretty bizarre directions. :bassist:

12. Stratus - Cobham;
    Message to Love - Hendrix;
    Blue Wind - Jeff Beck;
    Power To Love - Hendrix, etc., etc.

13. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

Ahhhhhhhh, YA!

14. lethifold

lethifold

Mar 19, 2005
    Though it will probably get me slapped in the face I would recommend the following few songs

RHCP- Rolling Sly Stone
    RHCP- Fortune Faded
    Ghostbusters Theme Tune
    RATM- Take The Power Back

They all allow for good improvisation and test quite a few areas :)

15. allthings

allthings

Mar 22, 2005
    Thanks for listing your jam toons. TB tab archive has Black Capricorn Day and Dark star. The other songs mentioned so far...Chamelion, Mercy Mercy Mercy and the Chicken. Please list the band names...I'd like to check these out. I appreciate it.

16. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Chameleon is Herbie Hancock. Its a very simple line though:

--------------------6---
    ----------------8-------
    ------------------------
    ---3--4--5--6----------

----------------6---8---
    ------------------------
    ---3--4--5--6-----------
    ------------------------

17. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    I'm a fan of the more Jamband jamming side of jam :p

I've done a really cool version of "Come Together" which I have never heard anyone even attempt before.

Phish- Farmhouse
    Phish- Prince Caspian
    Various OAR songs
    Scissor Sister- Take your mama

Those are a few good ones...

What I find that my band does a lot is just start jamming in a random key, not really playing a song and then we end up working a theme in from a song that we play in that key. Just a hint, like a bassline or guitar lick, then keep on jamming and then work into the song. So we less jam the song and more the transition.

18. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I don't really think bashing anyone's taste in music is the point here, and is unwelcome even.

If you don't have anything to contribute to the thread, why post?

19. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Your chameleon is faulty, it's:
    --------------------3---
    ----------------6-------
    ------------------------
    ---3--4--5--6----------

----------------3---6---
    ------------------------
    ---3--4--5--6-----------
    ------------------------
    [​IMG]