1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Jazz bands

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by basstotheface, Apr 25, 2010.

1. gotten into a jazz kick. But unfortunately my knowledge of jazz bands is VERY limited, so i thought id ask TB for some recommendations. especially bands with good bassists(already know Weather Report), not necessary though.

2. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    Check out Aka Moon ( the USA does not have a monopoly on good jazz bands :p ).

Here's a taster :

3. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Well the idiom of jazz is huge, something could very possibly be recommended to you that you hate. For example, try Albert Ayler or Pharaoh Saunders, then try the Modern Jazz Quartet followed by Charlie Parker, throw in some Eric Dolphy and you have a hotpot cooking.

Good bands with good bassists though?
    Anything with Paul Chambers. Search him and see what albums he played on. Miles Davis' Kind of Blue? Absolutely anything by Charles Mingus, and that is a LOT of music. The Dave Holland Quartet. Check out the John Coltrane Quartet album Ballads. Jimmy Garrisons work on there is spectacular.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Something "current"-

Dave Holland Quintet... Prime Directive would be a nice intro.

Somewhat related (because two of its members are also in the DHQ) & a little more electric-
    Chris Potter Undergound.
    Caveat: They don't have a bassist.

As far as Mingus-
    I suggest his Quintet w/ Dannie Richmond, George Adams, Jack Walrath, & Don Pullen. Changes One & Changes Two have beautifully written & played compositions...with enough of an "out" factor to make it interesting.

5. Jazz with a heavy post-rock/electronic/funk influence:
    Mushroom

'Classic' Jazz (Jazz Fusion):
    Miles Davis - Bitches Brew, On the Corner, many more

6. Freddie Hubbard, Jimmy Smith, Stan Getz, Dexter Gordon, Milt Jackson, Sonny Rollins, Stanley Turrentine, Tony Williams, Herbie Hancock.. these are some great jazz artists IMO!

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Get hold of a copy of "Sunday at the Village Vanguard" by The Bill Evans Trio. Good all around, but mind-blowing bass work by Scott LaFaro.

8. WOW. I just looked at this forum and immediately went to youtube to hear Miles Davis (for any Canadiens, would he be Kilometers Davis there?;)) and this is absolutely...amazing. ill keep looking through this but i just wanted to thank you for the recommendations so far and tell you that they're really good.

9. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've really gotten into Hiromi Uehara recently. Another Mind and Brain are both incredible albums but I still need to pick up Spiral and Place to Be. Tony Grey is on bass duties for all her albums except Another Mind and his tone is killer.

10. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    I saw the Dave Holland Quintet in Cambridge Mass, 2 weeks ago and it was an AMAZING show!!

I'm also big into anything Hiromi does, along with (purists might not label them as straight jazz, rightfully so but whatever...) Medeski Martin and Wood, along with John Scoffield at times.

11. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Dude thanks! I'm going to pick up some of that stuff.

Also, check out Esperanza Spalding. Great bass player and vocalist.

12. robthegaff

robthegaff

Nov 29, 2009
    Ireland
    Wow, that's talent. Really impressive.

13. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    A few of my personal Faves:
    - Chick Corea
    - MMW
    - Jaco
    - Pat Metheny
    - Arturo Sandoval
    - Joe Pass
    - Koop (I know not actually jazz strictly, but still awesome nonetheless)
    - Stan Getz/Astrud Gilberto
    - John Coltrane
    - Thelonious Monk
    - Alan Holdsworth
    - Dave Brubeck
    - Duke Ellington
    - Sinatra/Ella/Billie
    - Herbie Hancock
    - Bill Evans (Amazing)

I could keep going, but I wanted to give you something from every direction that I could think of off the top of my head.

I would search youtube for a few videos of each since you may/may not like the first video that comes up, but might dig the next one.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    MM&W's debut, Notes From The Underground, is acoustic Jazz. Totally different from their ensuing organ-based groove jam-based stuff.
    I highly recommend it.

15. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    I thought Friday Afternoon in the Universe was the first one?

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  17. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    +1. Amazing vocals and chops.

18. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Jun 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
  19. 1dgbass

1dgbass

Jul 24, 2009
    Staten Island
    steely dan

20. Rich Treat

Rich Treat

Mar 29, 2010
    Something new: Brad Mehldau Trio.

Also anything with Larry Goldings, an organ player who plays the bass on the foot-pedals of the organ. Incredible, he has a few things to teach any bass player about feel! See his website for a discography.

Something older: People already mentioned Paul Chamber, Charles Mingus, and Scot Lafaro.... Also check out groups with Ron Carter and also Ray Brown (Ray Brown Trio is incredible).