Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Jazz Body?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drd07, Feb 25, 2005.

1. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Is this a good jazz body? It is a 3 piece swamp ash, around 4lbs. I know it's just a couple of pics, but I am purchasing this for 100 bucks. I want to build my own bass. It's from an unknown maker, but the seller says it seems to be a "good" body. Is there any way that I can tell just from looking at the pictures?

2. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    That's one nasty ding on the front... :scowl:

3. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    TWO, actually.... :eek:

4. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    A three piece body sucks up a bit of tone and it seems the neck joint has finish in it. I don't know if you can do better for $100, but you can do better.

5. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    3, mates.

6. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Actually, it's one nasty one, a couple bad ones and a few " is it the lighting, the finish or just dings". :confused:

7. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    I wasn't too concerned about the dings in it. I'm into the vintage fender vibe. Maybe it is too much of a risk, especially since it is a 3 piece. I didn't know that a 3 piece body sucks out the tone...I was thinking though that for 100 dollars, it might be a good deal since everything swamp ash at warmoth is over 200. I missed out on the 3lb 14-16oz jazz bodies they had a couple of months ago. I figured they would have more in the showcase, but I haven't seen them yet :bawl:

8. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Some things to ask yourself (or the seller) about a J body when assembling a bass:

1. MOST IMPORTANT : NECK POCKET... What kind of neck will you be mating it to, and is the pocket compatible? This is key - if you cant get a good connection at the neck, nothing else is going to matter. It doesn't have to be spot on perfect, but we cant have huge gaps either. If it is a little small, you can sand it to fit.

2. Are the pickup routes compatible?

3. Can I fit the controls I want in the provided space??

4. Is the control cavity set at the proper angle so a pickguard can be mounted??

5. What kind of wood for what kind of sound? Do a search on talkbass under the luthiers forum, you should get some good ideas about tone woods.

If you are quite handy with a router/sandpaper, you can make most bodies work, but ideally the pieces should fit together pretty well on their own.

9. Most Fender products are 3-piece.

The dings ARE bad...but there are ways to correct that under an opaque finish...

I agree...he can probably do better than $100...but it's a fair-enough price.

10. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I wouldn't pay even $50 for this one, for me the most important thingies the wood grain, try to find one with straight line and tight grains. By straight line I mean in the direction of the neck.

Like this

http://tinypic.com/1y03s8

Cheers

11. drd07

drd07

Jan 19, 2003
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'm not going to buy it then for 100. In fact, I'm going to pass on it altogether! I guess I will just wait until the "right" body comes along.

Why is it better to have the grain go a certain direction? Does that reflect a better quality piece of wood?

12. waxcomb

waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    Strength and stability, due to the way it handles the stress and pressure. Look at a stalk of celery. Which way does it curl? Not with the grain. :cool: