Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Jazz Chord Change Sites

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by stefeb, Aug 28, 2002.

1. stefeb

stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Any places on the net for chord changes for jazz tunes?

I'm looking for the changes for, Frim Fram Sauce.

I'm stuck.

Thanks.

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Hmmmmm ...I've never heard of that song - who plays it and what album(s) is it on? It may be that it's a fairly standard progression with a composed head - often Jazz musicans will take the changes from a standard and add their own head - if somebody could actually hear it, it might be possible to identify it as say : Rhythm Changes in F ?

4. A //:Eb/Eb/F7/F7/AbAdim/EbC7/F7Bb7/EbBb7://
    B //Eb/Ab/Eb/Ab/F7/Bb7/F7/Bb7//
    A //Eb/Eb/F7/F7/AbAdim/EbC7/F7Bb7/EbBb7//
    Form is AABA
    BTW; I still have'nt figured out what Shifafa is!!

5. stefeb

stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Marty - thanks so much.:)

6. stefeb

stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Hmmmmm... Jazz "Lite" ? :D

8. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Why do you say that, Bruce? Cause she's also pretty? Krall is a fantasic singer, as well as a great piano player. Take a listen to the way she comps and tell me you wouldn't kill to play with a piano player with touch like that. Then listen to her sing. Notice how much attention she pays to pitch, inflection, and phrasing.

We all should play jazz so "Lite". :rolleyes:

9. Bruce Lindfield

Actually it was just an ironic joke on the lyrics which stefeb posted a link for - read these and it might make more sense - or am I being too subtle? ;)

10. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I guess I don't get it.

Damn british sense of humor :D

11. stefeb

stefeb

Jun 9, 2002
    Bethlehem, PA
    Dave - Thanks for the link. I missed your post earlier.

And, kudos to Phil for a great site.

12. Bruce Lindfield

I've never heard either - but I think I am having my sauce and eating it!! ;)

13. Pacman

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I love Nat's stuff before he started singing!

I'm not putting her in the Herbie catagory, and I must admit I'm surprised by the note for note solo thing. But I do think she's a much better musician than she gets credit for.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah - to be serious I think she's OK, but the sheer amount of coverage and interest is way out of proportion. So in the UK you cannot get away from pictures everywhere you look in Jazz publications and in every shop with a Jazz section - there are pictures everywhere and massive displays.

I find it kind of depressing - do people really buy Jazz albums because they have a nice picture on the cover? :(

15. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    She's pretty hot looking and the marketing folks are exploiting that angle in addition to her being able to play.

Question Bruce, should Jazz CD's come with a plain white paper cover with regular type on them?

16. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have some old footage off of BET On Jazz recorded onto a VHS tape. It has Diane doing "I Love Being Here With You". This was way before she became a household name in the modern Jazz world. Her performance is one of my favorites on the tape. I enjoy her vocal tone and while she's no Floyd Kramer on the piano, she gets the job done.

The CD photos are definatley glamour shots, and have to be airbrushed. In person (or at least the shot on this tape) she is very attractive but she looks more like "The Pretty School Teacher" type, not the glamed up star that they portray her in the cd books. I guess a slick image really does help sell though. :rolleyes:

17. Bruce Lindfield

That's what I was saying - you go into any record shop and the Jazz section is just full of images and displays - even if you really like her, you can only buy the CDs once! It's just too much - you feel like saying to the shop manager - there are other Jazz artists as well! ;)

18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Well Bruce, maybe you should get tan and dress up in a speedo and your albums will sell better. :D :p