Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good jazz colleges in NJ

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by tplyons, Apr 14, 2004.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Looking at colleges for fall 2005, looking to major in jazz performance or something of the sort. Who has good jazz programs in NJ? Good music programs in general?

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Depending on what part of NJ you're in, SUNY Purchase, in Purchase NY has a great Jazz program.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Northern NJ. An hour from the city.

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Purchase is about 15 to 20 minutes from the Tapan-Zee Bridge.

5. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    My pal Janet Reeves is on the faculty at William Paterson. Check out the roster there -- monsters all! James Williams, Harold Mabern, Steve LaSpina, Horacee Arnold . . . man, I should go learn something . . .

Here's the adjunct list:
    http://www.wpunj.edu/coac/music/faculty/adjunct.html

Good luck.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Was just up at WPUNJ on Tuesday for Dialogue Day. Great musicians there, but I have no chance at the jazz program. Maybe as a standard music major I can concentrate on jazz there though...

7. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002

I'm confused; Do you think it will be easier to be a "standard" music major than being in the Jazz program ? 'Cause if you do you are sadly mistaken...

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Only at Willy P. Their program is #2 in the nation and they are very selective. I won't even be able to get into the jazz program.