Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good jazz jam repetoire

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Snarf, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'm thinking about the lineup for a jazz quintet I want to start, mainly just to jam, but maybe play together more seriously if we really work well together. My repetoire is fairly limited, I know all the old high school standards (ie Summertime, Autumn Leaves, Another You, Satin Doll, etc. etc. etc.) and a few Parker tunes. I can walk to just about any sheet in front of me, but what I need for the purpose of this group is suggestions from you folks for good tunes to play with a piano-bass-drums-guitar-sax lineup. Variety would be great, a little bop here and a ballad there.

Note: this band is going to be all very good Berklee-ites, so you don't have to hold any suggestions back. ;) I want this group to be a challenge, something where we can all learn something from each other.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
  3. Well, there's some good stuff in Miles Davis for sure, especially if you could work the Trumpet into guitar instead. If you can, then I'd go with Stuff off of Milestones, Miles in the Sky, and Cookin with the Miles Davis Quintet. There's some hot stuff in there. Also Coltrane isn't a bad Idea. A love Supreme is great to jam on. Bud Powell used piano , bass, drums , and sax so Im sure you could add guitar to that too.