good jazz tabs? sites etc

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by xtbs7645x, Jan 12, 2006.

1. xtbs7645x

Dec 9, 2005
    is there any sites for good bass lines? or does anyone have any good ones they could post?
  2. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida try and learn how to read music rather than tabs.. it's much easier once u learn it then reading tabs
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Jazz is all about making up your own bass lines based on chord charts - not just 'parroting' what somebody else played...:meh:
  4. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Yes... but he wanted tabs.. so he got tabs ;)
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Yes, he got tabs. I checked the site you linked and was really amazed that there were several jazz tabs. That said, I think XTBS should realize that if he wants to be a jazz musician, he will not grow very fast depending on tabs to achieve his aim.

First, he won't be playing jazz as a soloist if he plays bass. Thus he will have a hard time playing convincing jazz basslines if he has not moved beyond tabs when he plays with other jazz musicians.

Still, I have to admire him for making an effort and maybe through the tab site, he will learn who the jazz movers and shakers are and what some well known jazz standards are.
  6. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    thats how I learned... Tabs... and my love for jazz started to blossom ;)
  7. Bruce Lindfield

You can't always get what you want!!

And what you want, doesn't necessarily get you where you want to be !! :meh:
  8. Rich600

Nov 22, 2004
    Stop being such elitist pigs, if he wants to do stuff by tabs let him do it, he'll grow out of it, just cos its not your way doesnt mean its the wrong way, there is no right or wrong way.
  9. Bruce Lindfield

10. middlebit

Sep 10, 2005
    You sure like to use that :meh: face at the expense of others.You'll grow out of your vanity one day, but meanwhile, here's one for you: [​IMG]
  11. is a good place to start, if that's what you are looking for. has a modular key changing etc. chord chart funtion on it. I know it's not tabs, but once you get comfortable with jazz and the songs you've learned via tabs, you can venture out and start reading charts and learning scales/chords.

Another great site is It covers a large areas of bass related stuff. If you go to the "basics" section you can find scales, chords etc all in fretboard markers (whatever you call it when they sow the fret board with dots over the correct frets). And you can loop chords and practice your walking/improv.

Have fun with it, the more your learn, the more you realize you don't least that's true for me ;)
  12. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Wow. What a quick load of manure in this thread.

Looking at tabbed lines as a Start to learning jazz bass is completely legitimate and reasonable. Can a person Stop there? No. But can a person start there and get a good start that way? Absolutely.

13. +1