Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good jazz-tone out a Nordstrand MM 4.3 ? ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by emielow, Oct 17, 2005.

1. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    I'm thinking about building a bass with a MM / J pickup configuration. (or MM / MM) A Nordstrand MM 4.3 + a jazz pickup (maybe a Nordstrand NSJ4)

My question,

If (the MM) switched in single coil mode, does it have a good jazz tone? like a 'real' single coil pickup?

and maybe i can use 2 MM pickups, if i both switch in single coil mode, do i have a jazzbass then??

link: http://www.nordstrandpickups.com/bass_mod.html

i want a jazzbass and a stingray in one bass.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You really can't get a jazzbass and stingray in one bass.
    To get jazz sound ideally you'd want the rear coil of the MM pickup(s) in the same position as the corresponding J pickup.
    That way you'll get approximately the J sound in single coil mode, but that way you'll lose the MM sound. Pickup placement is crucial - an MM won't sound like a stingray in J location.
    Decide which of the sounds you will use most, and place the pickups according to that.

3. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    the single coil is closer to the bridge then a MM?

is it a big difference in sound?

4. A huge +1 on that. Also, you need to decide on a 60's vs. 70's (closer to the bridge) J placement, depending on the sound you want.

5. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    so maybe a MM with a jazzpickup in bridge position?

so: brige----jazzpickup-MMpickup------------------------------------neck

but then you'll loose the neckpickup, or 3 pickups, mmm i dont know

6. Well its certainly an option to do the standard jazz set with the musicman in the center position, ie a 3 pickup bass. Or a J + mm or MM + J configuration. All of these configurations would work fine, spacially and wiring wise. I would suggest narrowing down the jazz pickup selection first, nj4, nj4se or sv, the later two models are hum canceling coils and might work well in a mm4.3 + nj4s application.

The second question would be what sold you on the mm 4.3, the versatility or that its a drop in replacement for the sray model pup?

Third question, are you trying to get a jazz tone, with an option to sound like a mm, or are you trying to get a hybrid of both sounds?

7. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    i want the MM4.3 because its versatile, and really sounds good (like a stingray, or even better (i heard some soundclips from the same bass(stingray) with original pickup, and the nordstrand))

i want a bass wich can sound like a stingray, and if possible also like a jazzbass. i already have a jazzbass, but i want that one as a backup, and use 1 bass as main bass. so a MM AND a Jazzbass, and maybe a kind of blend

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yes
    yes. a large part of the difference in sound between 60s and 70s jazz basses is the bridge pickup location differences.

9. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    You can't really get both sounds in one.
    The Lakland MM humbucker is better at Jazz bass single coil sound, than a Stingray sound, because of the pickup placement.
    The 5501 Lakland approximates a Stingray better, because the treble coil is closer to a standard stingray position.
    You could probably compromise both positions, with careful placement...but without research it is hard to get it right.
    Club Bass has a cool custom bass that has MM and Jazz Duncans...very aggressive, musicman like sound and beefier with both pickups blended. :bassist:

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The best you'll get is a compromise. Since you already have a jazz bass, put the MM in standard MM sweet spot position.

11. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    yes i think that's the best option...

or maybe a P-bass pickup? is that possible? or is it in MM position again?

12. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mmmmm, it's not THAT big difference :meh: :confused:

13. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'd be interested in hearing those soundclips... any chance you have a link to 'em?

14. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
  15. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Have you played a 70s Jazz Bass vs a 60s Jazz Bass? That's just one example.

Are you saying pickup placement isn't important?

16. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    i mean the area between the 'bridge' and the backcoils of the MM pickup and the area between the bridge and the J pickup, it's hard to see the J area is bigger

17. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm not sure what your point is. The 'sweet spot' locations for Jazz and MM pickups are fairly standard and well known by builders. There might be small differences between them, but those small physical differences have large tonal differences.

18. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    ok, i did not know the difference in sound was that great on 0.5 cm

19. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    The space is bigger than that
    Music man pickup is more like half an inch further away from the bridge than a Jazz pickup and does make a big sound difference
    That's for the 60's jazz and the 70's jazz is even closer to the bridge
    possibly by 1/4 inch which gives a more aggrssive or toothy growl(treble)

20. emielow

emielow

Jan 18, 2004
    but if i put the back coils of the MM in the bridge jazz position, you don't have that stingray growl right?