Good job SKB

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davidoc, Aug 3, 2002.

1. :rolleyes:

I bought an SKB roto rack case (4 space) for my Ampeg SVP pro and QSC USA-850.

The designer at SKB who put the little plastic things from the edges and top and bottom of the back pertruding into the middle space was a pure genious!

Now my power cable is extremely quashed and is at a horrible angle, I HAVE to use L cables to connect to my preamp, and if I want to use the XLR out, I'm screwed.

Great job SKB, your engineers are geniouses!!!

Would it really hurt to have two handles?
  2. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    SKB's stuff is cheap, so you should expect that their stuff isn't very good.

By the way, I love the creative spelling of "genius."
  3. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    SKB racks suck. even their "ATA" ones. the only good part about them is that they're light, but if your stuff is going to get thrown in a van with other gear and you have heavy stuff inside, get a wood rack.
  4. That's funny, I've never had any problems with mine and I used it for touring up and down the east coast for 3-4 years. Still have it.
  5. Yea i have two SKB cases, a 6 space and a 4, neither of which have the problems you describe. Did you buy the cheap ass model with the crappy back door? If so, that may be the problem.

Sounds like you never looked at it before you bought it either.

6. I did buy the "cheap ass" roto model. I don't think cheap is is the right term. Crappy ass is more like it.

$60 for a piece of molded plastic with rack rales is not cheap. Either is 130 for the ATA ones.

What were they thinking? Do they assume noone uses the top and bottom spaces? Let's say I had the classic power-conditioner on top rack. That would've been completly unusuable. This is folly.
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    1) Buying a case that your gear doesn't fit in is not very bright. You did that, not SKB.

2)The roto cases are sorta lame, IMO. The others seem decent though.
  8. The Roto case is kinda lame, but you screwed up, too. If, as you say, $60 isn't cheap, then you should have done your homework.

My Fafner resides quite happily in my four-space Roto Rack, but it's barely 10 inches deep so it has tons of space in the back. It's not waterproofed, no, but wood racks that are put together competently (if it costs <$25/EIA unit, it's probably not build very well) and made from plywood tend to be very expensive, too.

FWIW, Anvil/Calzone now gives the option of using a fiberglass composite in its racks and flight cases. It saved me 10-15 pounds on my FBB's flight case. If I had the scratch I'd get a hardcase made from it.
  9. Thanks for the replies. I don't regret buying it. I'm in high school and need a way to carry my gear around.

I'm just pointing out that little design flaws (imperfections maybe) can cause huge problems, and that while I maybe shouldn't have bought it for this reason, it could have been made much better and sold alot better if they had just adjusted a few dimentions..

I can live with the case as long as the power cord doesn't start farting out and I don't have a use for the XLR out.