1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good job, Warwick!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by K-Funk, Aug 31, 2008.

1. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Honestly, what were they thinking when they designed the bridge system?

I own two 5-strings- a Thumb BO and Fortress One. When I bought the Thumb, it was (and still is) strung with Dean Markley SR2000's. The Fortress still has the same mystery-NPS-taperwounds on it from when I bought the bass. Here's my gripe:

Even after filing the bridges on both basses to fit untapered B and E strings, nothing fits! I've tried D'Addario XL Nickels (my favorites!), DR Long Necks, and DR Hi-Beams, and nothing works. Either the string is too fat for the bridge saddle, or it won't bend at the tuning post and go through the nut slot properly. The only strings I've found that fit are Warwicks and SR2000's, and I dislike both of these.

What else should I do/try? What do you other Warwick 5-string players use or do to your basses to make them accepting of strings?

2. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I use Warwick's Red Label Medium Lights with no problems .130-.40. They are un-tapered and fit the bridge system flawlessly. They are pretty light, but they work just fine for me.

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    My Mighty Mite bridges were the same on my BC Riches. You would think that SOMEONE in the company would use their own product :(

I switched to tapers and found that I really like them.

Bass wishes,
    Mike

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I have a warwick streamer lx5 which i picked up used and it came with D'addarios and I restrung with DR MM5's with no problem. Not sure about the D'addarios, but the MM5's have a .125 B

5. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    It's mostly the Thumb that's causing the trouble, for some reason. I was able to finally get the tapered DR's onto my Fortress, even though they wouldn't go on the Thumb.

What tapered strings are you guys using? The only ones I can find are DR's and SR2000's. Both sound fine, but I'm not a fan of stainless steel fret wear issues. However, I have heard of people using DR's for a very long time with nearly zero fret wear....

6. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I used to use DR Lowriders (I think), but they are hard to source in my town. Are you partial to a certain Gauge for the B?

7. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Either a .125 or .130.

After installing any playing around with my Fortress One with the new DR Long Necks on it, I'm extremely impressed with the sound and feel. They're super easy on my hands, and they sound a lot better than the D'Addario strings I've been using for years on my other basses.

However, one of my bigger concerns is fret wear. Despite feeling smooth on my hands, are the stainless steel strings doing any more harm to my frets than standard NPS? I've heard that DR's are very easy on the frets, is this true?

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Haven't noticed any extensive wear and my current warwick is about 10 years old.

9. headtrip762

headtrip762

Feb 13, 2008
    NEPA
    Same here, I have a '98 thumb BO. Ive been playing DR strings since ive owned it. Hi Beams, Black Beauties, Blue peacocks, and low riders. Seems to me that their is zero fret wear and the life of the strings last a while. Right now im hooked on the Hi Beams, no matter what though im probly gonna stay DR.

10. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Sweet. I've already got DR Sunbeams on my vintage Stingray and it sounds very good. Hopefully, I'll have all my basses DR'd soon!

Does anyone know if the Lo-Riders and Hi-Beams have tapered B and E strings? Of if they will fit the filed-out bridges on my two Warwicks?