1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good Laptop, Loaded, for ~$1000?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, May 12, 2006.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Hrmph, I figure I'll get at least a little help here.

Graduation is in 2 weeks, and I know I'm going to need a good laptop for school next year (they're a 'TECHNOLIGICAL' college with no laptop program... it's even in their name!!!) as well as for doing some recording.

I'm setting my budget on $1000. I want something reliable, Windows-based (oxymoron, I know), and pretty well loaded. I'm straying away from Dell since a few of my friends have bad muchos problemos with them.

Any input? Thanks in advance!

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Good choice in staying away from dell, just spent 1 hour 40 minutes talking to some guy who didn’t speak English and would randomly start talking to me in some other language only later to call me a lair... made a mistake of buying a monitor from them which broke. See the full story here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248608 and share your own. :)

Hmmm Toshiba from my memory isn’t bad... If I was to get laptop right now it would be Mac though... Only huge benefit for PC is games and well... forget about gaming on laptops :)

3. i was thinking the same thing :) macs are very good, but check out www.notebookreview.com for some ideas

i've been pretty interested in Averatec, but i guess they put such a big processor in it that the thing gets as hot as the sun...components melting and the whole 9 yards...

I know a lot of my CS friends have HP laptops and are very happy with them

4. OK, don't flame....

I believe Apple is releasing a new lappy in a week or so which just might debut for around that price range. It will feature the Intel processor which is very fast. You'll get some nice software extras and the rumor is there will be a built in camera for video chat.

I have a MacBook and it screams. I'm also running Windows AND Mac. The install was really easy. Very convenient and versatile. Plus, I've always been happy with Apple hardware. YMMV

Just something to think about

5. Hahaha Serg, that sucks. I hate dealing with people on the phone.

As far as a good laptop, I have a HP zv6000. Its been very reliable. I dont believe you can get the same exact one, but you can get one similar. Last I saw, mine was 900, with 512 MB RAM, 80 gig HD, multimedia card reader, DVD-RW, 17" widescreen screen, AMD 64 bit processor and either 128 or 256 MB video memry, cant remember which. Its a great laptop, have had no problems, runs fast, does everything a computer needs to do, and for not too much cash.

Dave

6. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

We use two Toshiba laptops in our lab and they have been very reliable. They are older machines though, the fastest is a 1.5 GHz P4 and the other is a 1 GHz P3.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hold on. They have "laptop program" in their name, or TECHNOLIGICAL??? :D

-Mike

8. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Haha, Technological is in their name.

Thanks. I'll look into the HP's and Toshibas.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I use a Toshiba as well. Zero problems.

-Mike

10. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    While you may stay away from Dell, I've never had a single problem with them.

Keep an eye out for the Apple one...should be interesting.

11. I've got a Toshiba that's just great.

12. HP works for me.

13. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    The last three I've bought have all been Fujitsu and I'm really happy with them.

Had a Gateway, then a Compaq before that and although I had a few problems both companies were good at taking care of it right away, including Compaq sending out a drive before I even returned the faulty one.

14. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    +1.

15. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    hmmm... I'm on my 5th Dell laptop and I've never had any problems with any of them. Not to mention they can out perform and/or equal performance wise anything I've matched them with.

YMMV. ;)

16. I love my Powerbook :)

Only downside is gaming, but games don't do so hot on most laptops anyways. And there's something that comes with the Mac that is 10x better anyways.

Garageband :D

17. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I've got a Toshiba and I love it better than the HPs and Dells I've had in the past. I got my Toshiba on clearence at Office Depot. I priced it on Toshiba's website at $1600 and got it for $850 after rebates. I'll never own any other Windows based laptop again!

18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    i've also never had a problem with dell.

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I think you'll be pretty safe if you stick with one of the major brands: HP/Compaq, Dell, Apple, etc. There will be horror stories with any large company like that, but by and large it seems like it's commonplace to put out a pretty reliable product.

Personally, I use a Compaq laptop as my only computer, and have had no problems with it in the last two years I've had it.

20. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'm typing this post on my Toshiba Sattelite. I'm unplugged for about 3 hours now with wireless internet without a problem. It's quick, small, bright, good sound and is easy on batteries.

I paid $1250 from BestBuy.