Good, light Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alexander, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I saw a small (1 rackspace, I think) Peavey poweramp - I think 700W/side. I have been considering upgrading from the combo amp I've been using and maybe going with an SVP-Pro preamp and a lightweight poweramp.

I'm thinking if I could get something like the Peavey, I would have one rockin rig with very minimal weight. I really don't need 700W/side though and I think 300-350W/side would work. Any ideas on other options?

Are there downsides to buying the pre and power amps seperately as opposed to just buying one head? I am guessing the brand of the power amp doesn't affect the overall tone (please let me know if I'm wrong), so something small, light, reliable and relatively inexpensive would be awesome.
  2. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    carvin dcm1000 maybe or a QSC power amp
  3. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    you'll find some threads here arguing the fact that power amps do/don't contribute to the overall tone of a rig.

i moved to a pre/power sitch.

i feel its more flexible and (depending on your choice) can provide more power/headroom.

as a gigging bassist AND a personal studio owner, my bass rig power amp saved my ass when my studio Crown died.

i pulled it from my bass rack and used it last minute for some recording monitoring.

depends on what your looking for in tone.

a QSC SS amp will most likely sound different than an all tube Aguilar.

its a never ending quest for tone, i've found.

right now, my QSC PLX 2402/Aguilar DB659/Bergantino HT112 is my fave.

but, only a few years ago, i thought my Eden WT400/210XLT was the SH%T.

be prepared to sell/buy for the rest of your playing days.

its fun and better than 6 years in the joint!

4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The Peavey DPC1400 and Stewart World 1.2 put out a lot of power for single-rack-space amps. I hear the Stewart gets superhot though, which explains why half of it is heat sink. Stewart might make a lower powered model with the same form factor.

There advantage of getting a separate power amp is that most integrated bass heads don't put out 1400W and above. If you want oodles of power, the best way to get it is to invest in a pre/power/cab setup.
  5. What Fred said.

Hiya f
  6. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    I use a QSC PLX 1602 and like it. If you are limited to just 2 rack spaces for preamp and amp, you might want to check out SoundTech's space, 400 watts/side into 4 ohms, 16lbs. I hear they can be had for as low as $325 new.

7. LJW

Feb 8, 2002
    northeastern pa.

Good Amp.

21 lbs.
  8. I've done the pre-amp / power amp thing for the past 10 years. One advantage is easier maintainance. If one part goes down, you can swap it out and keep on playing . With an amp head, if the power amp section goes you're gonna have to replace the whole thing in order to get it fixed. Another advantage is flexability and added power. For instance you can get a Sansamp pre-amp for around $300 and a Carvin DPC 1000 $369 and a SKB roto for around $70. You have a rig putting out 600 watts at 8 ohms (bridged) or 1000 watts into 4ohms bridged. for under $800. There arn't many amp heads that will touch that kind of power or flexability for that kind of money. jmho